Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

synscan and pc

Hi

just bought a synscan goto upgrade for my celestron C6 xlt on a CG5 mount. I see the unit has an autoguider port. Is this what i use to connect to a pc to drive the mount??? What software would be suitable to do this and would i need anything else. I know i can use the handset but looking to the future of driving with pc

Any help appreciated on this

Not familar with your set-up, but if it has a guide port then it should be compatible with any ST-4 guider.

You can guide using a second telescope mounted on the main scope (piggyback), this can be a small refractor like a ST80.

You'll then need a guide camera ( I use a QHY5) and a connection either from the PC ( probably a serial conection and a Shoestring adaptor+cable - converts the "signal" to ST-4, or like me I can connect directly from the QHY camera to the ST-4 port)

Then some guiding software; the favourite seems to be the freeware PHD.

PHD will then "talk" to your guide camera and determine what signals to send to your mounting to keep the guide star in position.

Hope this helps.

Re-reading your post...

Do you just want to control the scope from a Planetarium type program and get it to GOTO various objects?

If so the guide port doesn't enter the story!

All you need is a cable from the SynScan handlepaddle to the computer ( usually a serial connection, so if you only have USB connectors you'll also need a USB>serial adaptor I recommend KEYSPAN adaptors) then use Stellarium or Carte du Ciel etc as a sky map and set the communications to suit and it should move and control your scope.

You can connect your CG5 mount by means of a Serial cable that usually comes eith the mount, it plugs into one of the handset ports and then to the serial port of your pc. This cable is used for updating the Firmware (Software) version of your handset, it can also be used to control the pointing of your telescope from a Planetarium program such as Cartes DuCeil, Stellarium, The Sky etc...

This method of driving your mount to various parts of the sky by clicking on a star or other object in the Planetarium must not be confused with guiding your mount for long exposure photography.

Guiding is achieved usually by having a second telescope and camera which are connected to your computer, this camera then displays a range of stars on your PC screen in real time, in the software you click on one of the stars and the software then sends commands directly to your mount using another port on the unit (ST4 port). As the mount drives and tracks the sky, commands are sent by the guiding software to control the movement directly to maintain the guide star in the same relative position by means of small corrections in speed and direction. PHD (Push Here Dummy) from Stark Labs is a piece of

freeware software used by many amateurs for guiding but there are several free packages available depending upon the type of camera (Webcam or Dedicated guiding camera (e.g. QHY5) and many others) you use for guiding.

Brendan

PS - I dont type fast enough Merlin beat me to the answer.

ok thanks, yes i was looking at driving from pc rather than autoguiding but that info was useful as well. So i gather all i need is a usb to serial adaptor and it connects the handset to the pc? i assume i will need to do the star align beofre all this?

Yes you still need to set your mount up as normal, level and polar align properly for the planetarium program to be able to point accurately around the sky although you can Synchronise onto objects to improve its pointing accuracy (that is assuming the mount is accurately aligned in the first instance).

Brendan

Archived