NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon!

Kain

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, I will look tonight if the weather supports me!

I still have no idea what al;l the numbers mean on the dials, but meh! I just point the scope in the general direction and hope for the best lol!

Kain

The dials are called "setting circles" and if used correctly can help you find objects in the sky. I would advise you completly ignore them though as they will be small and most likely useless. The best way to find things is to learn the sky! Invest in a planosphere, i can recommend the philips one. This "map" will help you find stars and constellations and from there you can find other objects. For example, M51 the whirlpool galaxy is in Ursa Major, however first you have to find Ursa Major!

I'm not a complete noob when it comes to the sky, this is my first telescope, not the first time I have gazed into the big beyond..

Ursa Major and Minor is easy to find, as is Orion and Cassiopeia!

Kain

Is that like a globe but with stars on? If so I have one in the loft!

I have bought two books this morning too

Collins: Need to know Stargazing

Philip's Astronomy Encyclopedia

I have also have ordered

Phillips: Stargazing with a Telescope

Should all be usefull :D

Kain

Hi Kain,

A planisphere is a flat disc of plastic, with the constellations printed on it. It can be rotated to your date in the year and then you can see what is North, South, East & West, just by looking at this flat disc and comparing with what you see when looking Nth, Sth etc. It is really easy to use, helps you learn the major constellations and brightest stars. It is a great way to learn the night sky. You simply find one new constellation a night. After a few weeks you suddenly realise you are piloting your way from constellation to constellation - star to star.

Well worth the small outlay. i still use mine sometimes, 30 years on.

Tom

Archived