Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st Attempt at NGC 7000

Deneb

Hi

After waiting for the cloud to clear last night around 12am, I decided to put my self modded 450D camera to the test with the WO, for a session of 1-1/2 hours I managed to capture a total amount of 27mins of NGC 7000.

15 x 60Secs @ISO1600, 12 x 60Secs @ISO800, stacked in DSS then GXterminator, unfortunatly with the little time I had No darks, No Flats - Just too excited to see the results, I don't know what is the proper colour for the emissions, so I have processed 3 :

NGC7000_keepthis.jpg

NGC7000_keepthis2Best.jpg

NGC7000_keepthis3.jpg

Very nice for a first light with no flats and short subs, got a good bit of signal out. Imho, the first one to me looks the most natural color.

Daniel

thanks, Daniel. I've seen many pictures on the web, but not sure which colour it should have been, but the 1st & last one is my favourite.

Superb effort...

Was it because the sky wasn't verydark that you kept to relatively short exposures..

Your results are superb anyway :D

Guy....

I think the issues were:

a) As you know a modded camera your exposures times can be kept lower then a unmodded camera, so reallly I wanted to know with little effort how effective was the mod.

:p Due to the lack of time that night, i rushed my setup procedure, so tracking was not good as I wanted it to be, usually I can track upto a good 90 - 180secs with the mount I have depending on how accurate my alignment is.

c) The area which I am imaging is directly from my North London light polluted backyard, don't get me wrong - I still think that I am quite fortunate that I can see the major constellations quite clearly. I find that if I use longer exposures my images come out too exposed with orange glow.

d) Maybe Psychobilly or Aza or anyone else is welcome can answer this ? Currently when my camera is coupled onto my scope with it's reducer I seem to get better results using Daylight setting for exposure longer then 30secs, anything lower then that I usually find Tungsten to be good enough, why is that ? Should I spend some more money :) & buy myself a Astronomik CLS clip on filter to reduce LP ?

d) The wind was sometimes strong which was causing some vibration on the mount.

If you are in North London then I would definitely recommend the CLS clip.

I live in the middle of a town, and with the CLS you can pretty much go for exposures as long as you wish, without worrying about LP.

Now you are modded, another alternative is the Ha filter. This blocks out LP even better, but you do end up with a B&W image.

Oh and about the camera settings. I have only ever used the 'Daylight' setting.

Yeah thats the one :)

Go here though for better prices:

Astronomik filters @ Modern Astronomy

The Ha filter comes in the same clip style as the CLS.

When you use a Ha filter you will only use the RED channel, and discard the blue and green. Therefore making it a mono image.

BUT you can use the data to ADD to a standard image as a luminance layer.

What this does is use the Ha layer as extra detail in the colour image.

Check this thread here, as I used this technique:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/71608-dslr-pacman-hargb.html

(looking at that image I think I could process it a lot better now...its funny how quickly you learn new techniques and progress!) :D

Haha thats for sure!

Yeah definitely get the CLS first...it is pretty much essential in light polluted areas.

The Ha filter really comes into its own when the Moon is washing out the sky.

Used my clip filter for the 1st time last night on this region with modded 350. Processing the data now and will post soon. Loev the clip, almost as long as I want in exposure time :)

Yeah its great huh?!

If you are using DSS, make sure you do this to keep the colour balance correct, as the filter causes a blue cast over your image.

After clicking 'Stack checked pictures' in DSS, click recommended settings.

In that section you can scroll down and ensure you use the option that says:

"If the colour balance in the resulting image is hard to fix......."

Archived