Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

B&H Photo-video USA anyone used them

This is the one that turns up in Google product search?

They're a reputable dealer, and their US price for the Ethos ($550) is similar to other US retailers (e.g. OPT at $558). But the price Google is quoting you isn't including tax/shipping to the UK...

Thats what I'm worried about. If I finish the checkout system I can get both the 31mm and 13E sent by UPS for $63.

So the whole lot for under £730.

But then you need the dreaded import tax and vat I suppose which makes it not very good.

So how does this import tax work. Correct me if I'm wrong but the customs hold on to your items until you pay them and once you have they send it on it's way. But if so how do they know whats in the box.

There's a customs declaration form on the box stating the purchase price, usually routes via Parcelforce who do nothing for a week, send you a demand for tax and their handling fee (the latter which really makes my blood boil, as it's a complete rip-off) and finally deliver it once you've paid.

Figure on +20% for tax/duty on top of shipping costs, it's close enough.

UPS (and Fedex I think) are similar, but do the demand for tax themselves and are quicker than Parcelforce, especially on expedited service.

By the way, you'd get a 13E + 31T5 used for less than that in the UK and avoid the hassle of importing it.

I've come to that conclusion myself Ben. It just a shame that this country rips you off.

Thanks for the info as well Ben

I've owned both and they're both superb eyepieces, so you can't go far wrong.

I wanted a max-TFOV eyepiece so went for the 31mm, but the 26mm is slightly more usable - the 31 has a hint of blackout if your eye isn't positioned right which the 26 never had - and the exit pupil is better for a fast dob too.

L'Missus bought a couple of bits from B&H (IIRC it was an Ultima barlow and Celestron 8-24 zoom EP) and didn't have any issues with them but they were sent to a U.S. address so we didn't get stung on any import duty.

FIWIW, Import duty isn't applicable for items under a certain value (it used to be about £30, not sure what it is now) so the shipper could put a value on the customs tag under the the limit and unless the package get opened and searched, you could get away with it. However, I'm certain a retailer wouldn't do that and moreso, if it got damaged or lost you wouldn't have any comeback. Personally, I don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Tony..

I agree Tony it's not worth it for insurance purposes...

Ben I was heading towards a 26t5 as well. I've read a few reports about blackout as well and plus I want to stay under 6mm exit pupil and the 26T5 has 5.69mm while the 31t5 has 6.78mm

I just did a quick check and to buy the 13mm Ethos and 31mm Nagler it works out to aproximately £895.00 delivered with taxes , customs clearance fee etc. from B&H v £886.89 delivered from Telescope House.

So it's actually cheaper to buy it from a UK dealer, as well as getting it in 24 hours.

John

I just did a quick check and to buy the 13mm Ethos and 31mm Nagler it works out to aproximately £895.00 delivered with taxes , customs clearance fee etc. from B&H v £886.89 delivered from Telescope House.

So it's actually cheaper to buy it from a UK dealer, as well as getting it in 24 hours.

John

Thanks John thats good to know.

I've found that it isn't usually worth importing Televue eyepieces, at least not at the moment. When you add up all the charges UK prices are about the same as US prices. Although if the pound goes up against the dollar any more that could change.

I wonder when Telesope House will be having their next 5% or 10% off weekend sale?

John

I've found that it isn't usually worth importing Televue eyepieces, at least not at the moment. When you add up all the charges UK prices are about the same as US prices. Although if the pound goes up against the dollar any more that could change.

Yeah, I agree with this too ... at $2 = £1 it was worth it for a while, until UK prices started to catch up. At current exchange rates the tax, duty and shipping eat up the advantages.

Plus for anything with (a) less than watertight QC or (:D any electronics in it I want dealer support. Seen too many stories of people importing and being left with duff/dead kit and no local dealer to help :)

Archived