NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is this normal please help

i tried to see jupiter but all i saw was a disc quite well difined but no detail i could see all 4 moons as pin pricks

should i see some colour or a bit more detail what should i expect ?

i have a helios d=114 f=1000 ithink it is a 4 or 4 1/2 inch

with 4 mm

12.5 mm

20 mm

cheap as chips eye bits

semi built up area with a little light polution

thanx in advance

dave

As you saw the moons as pinpricks, this would indicate that focus was good. I find that you will see more and more detail the longer you examine each object but in any event, the view of Jupiter will not be that large in this scope.

I had the same problem, untill I figured too much light is getting in. You see the big lens cap that you put over your telescope to prevent dust from getting in? There should be two small dust-caps. Remove one of them and put the big cap on the telescope. This way you'll get much less light in, and should be able to see detail on Jupiter. Remember to put it back on the big cap again, so no dust will get in when you don't use the telescope.

And yes, you should see three cloud-bands, but they're most likely to show up as grey or brown. But you can see detail indeed! Remember that your telescope might need to cool down before you start going into high magnification. This typically takes half an hour - one hour, but it's not really a necessity, just an option.

Hope this helped :)

Dave, Jupiter can be tricky as while it's big and bright, because it's low in the sky you are looking through more of our dirty atmosphere which can and does play havoc with stargazing. Another thing might be that the scopes' optics could be out of collimation. What this basically means is that the mirrors could be out of alignment and does affect the views out of the scope.

Remember that your telescope might need to cool down before you start going into high magnification. This typically takes half an hour - one hour, but it's not really a necessity, just an option.

If you're trying to squeeze out detail especially from an object that's as low as Jupiter, I'd say it's essential to have your scope at thermal equalibrium.

Tony..

If you're trying to squeeze out detail especially from an object that's as low as Jupiter, I'd say it's essential to have your scope at thermal equalibrium.

Tony..

I agree. Those first few views I had of Jupiter - running outside and not even bothering to allow the scope to cool down were great... but when the scope was at thermal equalibrium... wow. Much better :) I also got alot more detail out of Jupiter using a Moon filter. It must dull the glare and allow the eye to pick out more detail. I'd stay at the eyepiece for a while too... I find the longer you gazy at an object, more details 'pop' into view :)

Some people find that colour filters do not help them at all. However, with Jupiter, I found a blue filter very helpful. It exaggerated the definition between Jupiter's zones and belts and also made the GRS 'pop.'

There are times when the views are not great. Rarely is it the scope at fault, either the seeing is very poor, turbulence in earths atmosphere, not enough time has passed for cooldown to take place, observing over the top of dwellings that have heat rising from the roof. All these just serve to destroy the view of an object.

A change of observing site can help sometimes, if the scope is portable, and a site is within easy reach, it can be worth the effort.

Ron.:)

exalent

thankx for all the advice i am new to this so i think that colmati thingamebob i will leave and pay someone to do it

i will go out on sat to the top of a hill and give the scope 30 min to get down to temp then giv it a bash

you said filters do they go on the end of my scope or at the eye pice because i have my camera filters but they are to small for the end of my scope mabe i will add them to the long list of shoping i have to do

also will try the end cap smaller hole i quess it will work the same as f stops on a camera (less light more exposure clera immage

thanx again

dave95979 )

Don't worry about filters or using a smaller aperture - use the scope with the lens cap off and start with your lowest magnification. Your scope should show Jupiter nicely but the "seeing" will vary night to night and your eye will gradually train itself to see more and more detail as time goes by. Seeing the finer details on objects is something that takes time, patience and practice. Astronomy is note really a hobby of "quick wins" - you need to work at it.

John

• 2 weeks later...
i will go out on sat to the top of a hill and give the scope 30 min to get down to temp

You can look at stars through in the meantime.

filters do they go on the end of my scope or at the eye pice because i have my camera filters but they are to small for the end of my scope
Yes most camera filters are unsuitable for direct attachment to a telescope. With telescope filters, Sun Filters fit across the front of the telescope tube, whilst most other types screw directly onto your eyepieces. If you're using a Barlow Lens it can sometimes be more convenient to screw those filter types onto the Barlow. With some Barlows you have to screw the filter between the Barlow tube and the screw-on lens element, which slightly increases magnification.

Filters can be picked up from about £5 for a simple coloured one, £20 for a light-pollution one, to about £100 for an advanced narrowband nebula-enhancing one.

Archived