Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A small maksutov comparison project...

canuck

The report has to be posted on Cloudy night too :headbang:...

That wasn't the Questar that was on Ebay recently was it?

Tony..

There was one on Ebay? Nope...it wasn't that one.

I had a quick look through them last night, and that was all that was required. While I've used some exceptional ETX's, this one isn't one of them. It's an old ETX RA, and while the optics are pretty good, they do not measure up to the Questar. In my opinion, build quality comparisons are unfair, as the scopes are so different in price and target market, so I do not feel the need to mention it at this time...:)

I believe the ETX can optically hold its' own better than this example has suggested, so I have decided to hold off on this comparison until a better specimin of ETX crosses my path.

There you go, the act of fence sitting complete.:)

• 1 year later...

Hi, gang.

Just joined the site two minutes ago.

I took an astronomy course at school and had a cheap-and-nasty Newtonian as a teenager, but have lusted after a Questar for the last 50 years. I'm 64.

My 50th Anniversary model is [supposedly] coming this month, but I've heard that before; apparently, they are one machinist short and no 3.5's have been completed in the last 8 weeks.

I'm dying with anticipation, as this will only be my second scope.

My eyeballs are itchy, I am so excited.

How do I cope? :)

I'm dying with anticipation, as this will only be my second scope.

My eyeballs are itchy, I am so excited.

How do I cope? :D

Oh dear, you have got it bad, haven't you? Still, you won't be disappointed in your Questar!

I too, have a nice, portable scope. It is a bit bigger at 133mm aperture, but apart from that, not much different....

You can see photos of my scope "on the go" by clicking <HERE>.

Scopes like yours and mine define portability! :)

Dan

Archived