SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First View of Moon with Binoculars

Camkorn

Hello!

I was viewing the moon last night with my new pair of binoculars (I am totally new to astronomy), I noticed 3 bright patches or spots on the moon on the left side of it quite near the top. The 'spots' were in a triangular pattern and were very bright compared to the rest of the surface. I was wondering if anyone knows what these spots are?

Thanks! :)

Most likely the upper one was Aristarchus, and the two lower ones were Kepler (left) and Copernicus (right). Aristarchus would look more like a point source; Kepler and Copernicus would appear like larger 'splashes'.

The brightness you saw was impact ejecta... basically, the brighter the albedo, the more recent the impact was. The surface regolith has been 'cooked' by radiation and dimmed, but the lunar subsoil is brighter and gets splashed out during an impact. Tycho's impact left very long, narrow 'lanes' of bright ejecta. Look for Tycho at the Moon's southern pole during full phase, you can't miss it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I enjoy the full Moon because of these things you observed, giving it a bejewelled look, and something I can just howl at.

:):D:D

Being a fellow lunatic, I'm the same........

this moroning I watched the last cresent rise before dawn, it was awesome. My first picture was well over exposed, and I was rather shocked to see this on the display:

DSCF3407.jpg

When what my eye was seeing was this:

DSCF3409.jpg

:)

I suppose that's caused by a weak case of Earthshine - but a dim one so we need an over exposure for seeing it? I must say I personally enjoy watching the waxing Gibbous moon over a period of time, watching new features appear and be illuminated... either that or no moon!

Archived