Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope cover advice anyone?

Keithp

Hi all, been thinking about a scope cover for some time now, fed up with packing away at 03:30 in the morning when it starts to rain:mad:

I've been to the site recommended by A B and seen the cover but the dimensions look a little small for me, Skywatcher 250px on an eq6 mount on tripod. Would this cover fit? I'm currently thinking about a motorcycle cover I've seen on ebay for the same price.

Any comments anyone?

Regards

KeithP

I keep my kit out of doors under a bbq cover. In very sunny weather I put a white sheet over it to reflect the sun a little.

Ideally one of the covers from The Widescreen Centre will be covering it soon, these are silver, very strong, and waterproof. You can order them online in a variety of sizes, or simply call Simon or his Missus at the shop, or see them at Kelling heath, astrofest etc. Or if you pm GordonH on this forum he can probably give you the number.

Until a permanent obs comes along, this is the way I cover up, I think if I had to drag everything in I wouldnt bother. Setup takes me minutes now.

HTH

TJ

I use a motorcycle cover...Heat reflective, waterproof and fleecy lined!!

About £15.

Oxford do them.

Much better than a dedicated scope cover that will cost the earth and probably leak!

Or as TJ suggested a BBQ cover from B&Q....

HTH

Greg (Two motorbikes without covers!!)

Cheers for the replies everyone, looks like it's definately the motorcycle cover route... Greg, I like the idea of that fleecy lined cover, I was beginning to worry about condensation etc, especially occuring on the primary mirror.

Do you have a link to Oxford so I can check them out?

Regards

All

Keithp

Anyone one know of any cheap zippable covers? I need something to cover the OTA when upright in the garage, but none of the BBQ covers and the like seem to be sealable. I have looked at some parasol covers, which tie at the bottom, but I can't find one big enough (10" diameter, 1.4m long - sorry about the mixed units!)

NigelM

Martin...

I use that cover in the garage and i've never noticed any condensation on the bike, it's tha same cove I used at SGL 4..

We had a downpour overnight then the sun came out in the day, the humidity was pretty high and there wasnt any moisture on the scopes or the mount..

The option i'll be looking at when my obsys built will be using those moisture crystals, we use them in the caravan.

Keith,

I secure my cover with a couple of long bungee cords around the bottom, to keep the cover from flapping around.

HTH

Greg

Archived