Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 18 June

darditti

Good conditions on this morning (in strong twilight) showed the action in the NTrZ well. The dark spot and the projection were obvious visually.

The imaging adopts a technique I used successfully last year when the planet was very low, of a relatively short focal length on the C-14 (1.6x Barlow only), 17fps rate, and IR 742nm and blue filters used only to construct a similar-to-true colour image.

More to come from a rather good period of weather which has produced a backlog of processing.

David

jup2009-06-18-DLA.jpg

Thats a super result David, well worth the "early morning/ late night". I`ve found the "Green" channel in my images particularly strong for some reason. Nice to see it attain a decent height again....looking forward to more images from you!!!!

Alan:)

Thanks Dave.

Yes Alan, I recommend the Astronomik 742nm filter for Jupiter, also the Moon. It gives the most detailed result with Jupiter this low down, in my experience, but you do need a reasonable aperture to use it, probably at least 10", as the image it gives is quite faint.

David

This is a case where the manufacturer doesn't seem to know what they are talking about. I've tried the 807 filter as well and the image it gives is really very faint. CCDs are much less efficient at that wavelength. Even with a 14" the only real uses I have found for it are Venus and the Moon. Jupiter is not bright enough for the 807nm, you have to make the exposures so long, 1/7 s or so, it becomes self-defeating. The 742 is better because you can use about 1/15s, which is a sensible exposure. I haven't heard of anyone getting good results with the 804 except on Venus. Maybe with a 20" it would be good.

David

Archived