Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colour Filter Sets - Do I need them?

Hi Johan,

I only have one colour filter - a No 80a - blue (there's one of those in the set you link to). It is VERY useful for bringing out banding on Saturn and Jupiter and I have heard that it can help to bring out details on Mars, too. I also enjoy popping in the filter, just to see if there is any change in the detail I can see.

I'm not sure if on a small-medium scope it would be of much benefit - you might not get decent sized planets at the eyepiece to need to bring out atmospheric detail. My scope is a 5" - if yours is around that, I would say go for it and get the filters, especially if you have the spare cash to do so :) They are great for experimenting at the EP.

Someone will come along soon I expect to give you more expert advice :headbang:

I have quite a few coloured filters which I bought over the years, I honestly don't see much difference when using them - a subtle improvement at best. The ad you refer to suggests DRAMATIC differences but that's not my experience.

I would agree with dweller here - whilst I can see differences, it doesn't perform miracles. If the seeing is good enough to make out the banding on Jupiter, for instance, the blue filter will improve the contrast, making the view a lot better. If the seeing is so bad you can't make out the great red spot, don't bother popping the filter in!

If you are seriously into observing planets and have a mid-large aperture scope then they can subtly enhance surface detail. Otherwise save your money and don't buy them.

Gaz has written an excellent primer on the use of filters for observing planets.

Also, you can often pick up second-hand coloured filters for cameras from stores like London Camera Exchange. They will be the wrong size so you will need to hold them in front of the eyepiece but if they do improve the view you can then buy a proper astro version.

HTH

Thanks for the link and the insight Amanda. I have a 3.5" refractor. Maybe I'll get to use the set on Jupiter and Mars when they come around. At the moment it's too bright here in Norway, I can only see a handful of stars.

...The ad you refer to suggests DRAMATIC differences but that's not my experience.

Made me skeptical as well...

Thanks for the tip on London Camera Exchange Steve. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll get to go to London next.

I might be able to pick up a new Orion basic 4-colour set for about £25 here in Norway, and that's darn cheap over here!

Archived