Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would this work to save set-up time?

I have an HEQ5 with Explorer 200 and C80ED which I use for astrophotography guided via the QHY5 and PHD.

The trouble is that I am busy with work and do not have the time to set it all up and then connect all the leads etc etc etc for about 1 hours viewing time.

I was therefore thinking of a semi permanent solution. I cannot have an observatory or shed as my garden will not allow it at all.

So this is the potential plan:

Skywatcher pier (£155.00)

this would be attached to a number of paving slabs situated within a corner of the garden. The pier would be left outside (covered over though) and the HEQ5 could then be simple attached to the pier in the precide same position as last used to save on polar alignment time.

I would plan on making markings in the pier and the HEQ5 so that I coul line then up the same each time so that Polar Alignment was not required.

Would this work.

Is the Skywatcher pier any good. I cannot make my own or dig holes or pour concrete etc etc.

I have zero knowledge in this.

However I would guess that you may as well simply make some marks where the tripod legs go using your mount.

I dont think your method would hold is polar alignment very well, although I have no idea :)

Maybe a better solution would be to leave the mount attached to the pier at all times.

I used a G11 for several years out in the garden and on its tripod. I marked the feet positions and used a small laser to assist with the final polar alignment by shining the laser onto a wall and putting a mark there. I used a bright steel washer with black paint in the centre. When the laser was pointing at the centre the reflection went quite dark.

This gave me good enough alignment for guided pictures, no field rotation. Set up time was reduced by about one hour compared to my first efforts. I carried the tripod/mount out of the garage and then mounted scopes/weights. Don't get too much of a fixation on polar alignment if you are guiding, too much is made of field rotation - it is very rarely a problem.

Dennis

Hi Beamer

I have the same problem, as in an obsy not possible,

I used to leave my pier out and just plonk the head on with marks to make things easier as you are thinking of doing.

However, even this can be a pain to do everytime with conecting cables ect.

Now, I just leave the Heq5pro head on the pier and just put the scope on when I go out.

I cover it up with two of those thick council plastic recycling bags when finished.

I leave all cables attatched so I can just plug in and go, then park the scope when finished, remove telescope, wrap cables around the mount, then cover it up.

Its been out there now for several months, no problems at all.

Hope this helps

Greenkat

As Dennis said in an earlier reply it's suprising what you can get away with once your using guided exposures...

Yes in the ideal world Perrfect polar alignment would be the goal ... but don't worry too much about it... give it a go you haven't got anythign to lose...

Peter...

Archived