Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Next two nights are looking fairly promising...

ashenlight

...so here are my targets:

M81 and M82

M101

M51

M13

NGC6207 (may be getting a little ahead of myself for my 5" newt here?)

Epsilon Lyrae

I'll also be testing out two LPRF on some of these objects, so sit tight for my write up, should be interesting to see which comes out best.

...fingers crossed.

Amanda

Two very ambitious targets.

M101 has a surface brightness of 14.9 mag, I struggle with this one.

NGC6207 again very dim at mag 12.9 and about 1/5th the size of M13.

Try M5 in Serpens Caput.

Look forward to your filter tests as well.

M101 is the one I'm least confident about, but I'll give it a go anyway :D

kev, I actually was in my pyjamas... it was about 4am. It must have looked quite comical, pyjamas and a long overcoat, wellies and a bobblehat - there was a slight chill in the air :)

Targets:

Seen Before, Want to see Better/Again:

M13

Albeiro

Want to See:

Jupiter

Venus

Open Clusters M3 NGC6871

Neboulous Cluster IC 1805

2 Wide-Split Doubles

The Lagoon Nebula

The Pinwheel Galaxy

Some of these may be tough tests for the binos, both saturday and friday look good for me, so....

busy, busy!

James.

Nicely Split. Best Thing I've seen with them so far, I never expected to split doubles with binos, so it was a colourful suprise.

We had great skies last night, but I had an exam this morning, so no luck. I might have seen a meteor as well!

James.

I hate to be a party pooper but M101 will be incredibly difficult. We are fast approaching the summer solstice meaning the sky simply doesn't reach true darkness all night. Galaxy season is abruptly ended by this blessed month lol. I struggle to see M101 in my 10" reflector during a dark March evening let alone in June. To be honest, I think the only galaxies possibly worth looking at are M81/M82 and Andromeda (All of which you'll get a much better view in darker sky times). This time of year is best for hunting down those contrasting double stars (and of course Jupiter :-D). I tend to find the slightly lighter sky sometimes improves the contrast of colourful doubles.

Roll on August :-D

Matt

Vega, thanks for you honesty there, I didn't really know what to expect with M101! I think I'll give it a go anyway, I;ve got plenty of objects on my list to keep me going if it fails. I can't wait till the winter, can set up at 5pm and stay out til 3am, haha!

With you on the doubles and Jupiter, they've been 'wow' sights for me the past few weeks :)

Archived