Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with Canon 40D??

Right, I have a Canon 40D and T-ring. Now, if I wanted to take pics of a large planet like Jupiter what would I do? How do I get magnification? Best stacking sw? Blank frames etc? Step-by-step please! And remember, I'm a COMPLETE newby so won't understand techie jargon!

Thanks in advance all!:)

Alexxx

It's not impossible Alex, but by the time you've managed to add enough optical elements (barlows, TC's etc) to get the magnification, you're going to be

a) running at a silly F ratio, and the corresponding long duration of the exposure

:) looking at some potentially serious instabilities at the camera mount...

I did try it on Venus... using my C80ED, a 2x tc, a 2x and a 5x barlow... so 20x worth of magnification. I didn't want to let the camera go thanks to the stupid tube lengths but there was no way it was going to work otherwise... and here's what I ended up with. The EXIF data is in the border. Oh, focusing was a total nightmare.

IMG_06231.jpg

Why did I do this, you may ask, to see what would happen and whether I could actually get any image scale.

Archived