Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 PLAY IN R.A.

teztwister

Hi, Yes it can be adjusted. If you look at the RA setting ring, (silver bit with numbers on) on the flat black part above it there are 4 large hex bolts, these need to be undone so that they are slightly loose (not too much)

If you then look on the same black part on the curved bit just where the main body joins there is a small hex setscrew and there is also another at the opposite end of the block (balence weight end) these setscews need to adjusted.

If you have play in the RA the second setscrew mentioned needs to be loosened a small bit and the first setscrew mentioned needs to be tightened up by the same amount. Repeat in small increments testing the play until none can be felt. Once happy with your efforts, Tighten the big hex screws back up and your done.

I hope I havn't left anything out, I did my DEC the same way and it works great. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I have missed something out here. Usual disclaimer and all that.

Hope this helps

John

Nope - its play in the worm engagement - see the post above and have a look below for some links that discuss it.

It might also be the worm end floats which ar at fault if they are too loose.

Be warned - when you mess with the worm engagement it can be torturous to do and requires the patience of a saint.

Here a page with some links to EQ6 resources

Other resources for the Synta HEQ5

There will be a small amount of play and it shouldn't cause any problems. It is possible to adjust it as mentioned above but it's a fine balance between getting rid of the backlash and the gears binding. If you do adjust it make sure you can slew through the whole range on a slow speed before using it in earnest. I thought I had it set ok and it seemed to move ok but when I moved over it's full range the gears bound.

Astrobaby did a write up with pictures for the HEQ5 mount which I believe should be similar to the EQ6

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/74707-heq5-strip-down-guide.html

Regards

Every mount I've owned has a small amount of play in it and they've all worked fine and I have no plans to strip them down to try and eliminate it. I'm sure your mount will operate perfectly well the way it is.

Tony..

Archived