Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Locating objects made easier for your Dobsonian Telescope

I thought that some beginners who have a Dobsonian telescope may find this link useful. It sends you to a thread I posted in the DIY Astonomy section.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html#post1229286

It's how to make you own setting circles (nearly zero cost, takes 90 minutes, saves you a lot of time trying to find stuff in the sky).

Mike H

Brilliant in its simplicity and what an excellent way to use Saturn and Stellarium to locate objects. I already have a Wixey , which I have never used , and as soon I have a spare moment will give it a go and make one. My friend uses large sheets of thin white plastic for work so I can get offcuts big enough to use in one length.

Can see myself spending more time looking and less time searching which is great when viewing time is limited.

THANKS .

And while I am thinking about it I wonder why Dob manufacturers do not put permanent setting circles on their mounts ? Well worth the extra few pounds that they would charge.

I think it's a kind of... vicious circle. :icon_salut: "Noone" uses setting circles, so mount developers don't implement them (well)? :headbang:

But the basic pricincipal (azimuth circle + Wixey) is extendable to SMALLer alt-azimuth designs too.

Think "school protractor" (easily read to a couple of degrees) and you're within a finder's FoV... :cool:

Remember though, because the altitude and azimuth of an object is constantly changing, you need some sort of device (mobile phone, computer or the like) that will do the conversions from Right Ascension and Declination on the fly at the scope.

--

Martyn

The setting circle is great, but in the dark it might be a toughy. And with the larger scopes the circle is a loooong way from the eye. I have pondered on a way of making a digital readout to sit alongside the Wixey, but my ponderings have borne no fruit other than ideas at this stage. If and when I can make something I will see what you think. I'll certainly be adding these circles to my 16" though.

thanks

david

Archived