NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Active Area 1019 in glorius white light

brianb

The sunspot group which appeared yesterday and has apparently been officially "named" as 1019 is slightly bigger and more complex today. I took time out from processing a huge wodge of stuff captured yesterday to have a look & boy was it worth it! Don't know what went right this time, but I'm very pleased with the result.

Sun-090602-0946-WL-AA1019-X4.jpg

2009 Jun 02, 0946 UT. 80mm f/6 refractor, Baader solar film + solar continuum filter, DMK41, processed in Registax (stacking & wavelet sharpening) & Photoshop Elements (colouration & cropping). Transparency fair, seeing moderate.

Is that strange? It could have been the dirt evening it out!!! I have lent out my webcam so i'm looking forward to getting it back! One thing about observing the sun is you sweat bucketloads!!! I think Astro Baby had a hint about making a sun shield out of a camp mat. might give it a go. I had to balance the scope with binoculars on the back of the scope.

Brian

I had to balance the scope with binoculars on the back of the scope.

Is your name really Heath Robinson? You sound like a graduate of the School of Bodgeneering....

As for window glass, I've never seen a piece that's flat enough not to seriously degrade the view even using 10x50 binoculars. Not since the old fashioned plate glass process was dumped in favour of the float process .... you can still get plate glass, but it's a frightening price!

I had to google Heath Robinson! Yeah should really have taken scope outside but theres a troublesome hedge in garden and it was after 8pm so sun was down a bit low. I'm really looking forward to observing the sun more and your images Brian are great inspiration.

Thanks

Archived