Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just about to buy a new eyepiece - advice please

Hey everyone, im just about to buy a new EP for my skywatcher 200p, im after one for planetary observing, and im hoping to finally get a view of jupiter next month:hello2:

Im thinking a 5.5mm Meade series 5000 super possl for £76 from FLO.

Before I go ahead and order it, is there any other better alternatives of a similar price that are well suited to my f5 scope?

Many thanks, I cant wait to get better views than with my 10mm ep that came with the scope:)

Why not get a Barlow (2x) as this will essentially double your magnification, which is more than what you would get with a 5.5mm

1000/10 = 100 x 2 = 200x magnification

1000/5.5 = 182x magnification

With a Barlow you will essentially double all your eyepieces (once you buy more)

The Ultima Barlow seems to be highly recommended (I also own one) Celestron - Celestron Ultima Barlow

you might look for something a bit more planetary specific. I posted a thread yesterday in Equipment Help which hasn't had many replies :cool: in which I was considering orthoscopics against a planetary eyepiece based on a TMB design from a german company called Teleskop Service (it's an ebay retailer). Orthos suffer from small FOV but should be very clear and contrasty; the TMB design is supposed to be very clear and contrasty and have a wider FOV. I think the 5000 is "just" a plossl and at 5.5mm will have very very little eye relief (I think - I may be wrong in this).

ps FLO also do Baader orthos which are supposed to be very good.

pps I wouldn't barlow the 10mm e/p that came with your scope as it's not a great e/p anyway

hth

Thanks very much for the replies :cool:

I have a 2x barlow also but with the 10mm its not enough for me, I think im looking for good contrast mainly but want to be able to see things like the orion nebula close up, with my 10mm and 2x barlow I had great views but would the orthos at 5mm be a lot smaller FOV? What about the 5mm hyperion? £20 more but will it give the same contrast but better FOV? I must looki into that german one too!

Thanks again

Don't forget the William Optics SPL Planetary eyepieces. Every bit as good if not better than the TMB ones for sharpness and contrast and they have more eye relief. They don't do a 5mm but I've used the 6mm and it works really well with a barlow. Also used the 3mm SPL on a 250PX dob for lunar and that works really well.

John

Don't forget the William Optics SPL Planetary eyepieces. Every bit as good if not better than the TMB ones for sharpness and contrast and they have more eye relief.

John

ooh - nice :cool:. FLo only has them in 3 and 6 mm - are other sizes made? i will have a look.

For the money the hyperions are great eyepieces. They have a 68 degree FOV and are quite larger then most eyepieces.

If you remove the first group of lenses on the 5mm it then makes this eyepiece a 22.5mm eyepiece.

I have the 8mm and it's very good, it does have slight coma but I'm using it in a F4.5 you are not.

For the money the hyperions are great eyepieces. They have a 68 degree FOV and are quite larger then most eyepieces.

I agree with Doc although the Hyperions cost considerably more than the Meade you mention.

For approx £5 more than the cost of the Meade 5.5 mm you could get the SW 5 mm eyepiece shown below.......... slightly more magnification and FOV plus you can use it in either a 2" or 1.25' diagonal,which is nice. :cool:

I have had some good views of Saturn using this eyepiece.

Hey everyone, im just about to buy a new EP for my skywatcher 200p, im after one for planetary observing, and im hoping to finally get a view of jupiter next month

Jupiter does not stand magnification well, about 20x per inch (0.8x per mm) is as much as is useful, so the ideal focal length for your f/5 scope is 6.5mm rather than 5.5mm.

For a good value planetary eyepiece you won't get better than the Baader Genuine Ortho which is available in 6mm & 7mm focal lengths. The eye relief is rather restricted though.

I love Ortho's. I must say that they are an aquired taste. Eye relief can be a little tight and field of view a little narrow. Very clean images is why I use them.

My BGO's I bought from FLO.

My Brandon's I bought from Don at Venturescope.

My Circle-T's I bought from myself :cool:

Have a look in the equipment help forum (Planetary eyepieces) for some more posts on the subject.

Glen.

Archived