Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starry Night/ Stellarium Help

Right, so I have a south-facing balcony. Across the road, there's a fairly high building. Down the street there's another one. They are not really high enough to block much of the sky, but they're there.

So here's my idea. Tell me if it's possible.

Can you make a mask for either Stellarium or Starry Night where you can define the corners of a bulding, radio mast etc in alt and azimuth, so that you can use them as reference points? What I mean is this:

Example:

Looking at Starry Night, I can see that Jupiter will clear the top edge of that building at exactly 3:45.

Or, I know that the vista of my balcony has a FOV of 173*. What can I see?

You know what I mean?

-eli

Exactly. I could probably design a horizon that corresponds with the actual view off my balcony, but it would be really, really difficult. Much easier would be if I could say "This corner of the building is at +20* alt, 143* az. Sorta draw it on IN the program, instead of trying to make a panoramic image in 2d...

In Stellarium you can take pics of your own horizon and build a panorama, then import it into Stellarium and use that as the back drop.

I think that would do what you want but, although I know it can be done I've no idea how to do it. As for Starry Night, not sure if anything like that can be done.

Gary

Archived