Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quite Interesting : Sidereus Nuncius

JamesK

Apoligies if this has been posted before but I did a search and found nothing. While researching for homework, I came across scans of Galileo's original Sidereus Nuncius, in which he documents his first looks through a telescope - his obsevations of the moons of Jupiter, the Moon, and several clusters including the Plaedies. I found it quite interesting, again apoligies if this isn't anything new, feel free to delete but here is the link:

Thumbnail Page

and an english translation (unsure of quality):

http://hsci.ou.edu/images/barker/5990/Sidereus-Nuncius-whole.pdf

I've scanned through it - not read it properly, but it's fun to see how he interpreted the earliest optically aided observations. Maybe a bit sad, but it's been a slow day here... :)

James.

• 5 years later...

As a historian I find it extremely exciting that I am able to sort of copy Galileo's work, that I can see what he described over 400 years ago. Especially when taken the historical significance of his work into account. This a a fine translation of Sidereus Nuncius. The link above didn't work.
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mcgrew/Siderius.pdf

- Eric

Excellent find!

This is the sort of thing I have been looking for is translations of the old texts, I like physical copies myself but this is pretty neat.

edit: Just realised this threads age but kudos to ejp for updating the link as the original is broken.

Archived