Atik Horizon OSC Imaging Problems

Hoping someone out there can assist.  I have been trying without success to get my Atik Horizon working properly.  Last week I had a rare clear sky window so took the opportunity to open up the observatory and get fine collimation completed on my C11 EdgeHD.  the evening seemed to be going well when I confirmed that recent alterations to my image train have brought me within range of the C11 backfocus, however it was just downhill from this point.  With backfocus acheived, I expected to be able to complete my collimation using either the facilities in MaximDL or the Atik Infinity software, towards this end I was hoping to see the diffraction pattern against a black backdrop, however this was not the case, instead, I was looking at a grainy mish-mash of color as in the attached image from the Atik Infinity software.  Very likely I am missing something with the setup of the camera, where am I going wrong?

20241002_Test_RoughCollimatioon.thumb.jpeg.4f8b79744fe196b57f0240e369e89aac.jpeg

The above exposure is 1 sec.

After getting this image I then switched over to MaximDL, which gave me the same output, albeit in mono greyscale.  Tried a variety of exposures from fractions of a second to 10 seconds in an effort to see something, but without success. so

Kind Regards

Paul.

took the opportunity to open up the observatory and get fine collimation completed on my C11 EdgeHD.  the evening seemed to be going well when I confirmed that recent alterations to my image train seem to have brought me within range of the C11 backfocus, however it was just downhill from this point.  With backfocus acheived, I expected to be able to complete my collimation using either the facilities in MaximDL or the Atik Infinity software, towards this end I was hoping to see the diffraction pattern against a black backdrop, however this was not the case, instead, I was looking at a grainy mish-mash of color as in the attached image.  Very likely I am missing something with the setup of the camera, where am I going wrong?

After getting this image I then switched over to MaximDL, which gave me the same output, albeit in mono greyscale, switching back to the Infinity software after this, all I got was a black screen despite the fact that the software maintained it was imaging.  Tried a variety of exposures from fractions of a second to 10 seconds in an effort to see something, but without success.

It looks as if the image has not been debayered. OSC cameras shoot through a Bayer matrix of colour filters, one per pixel, in a pattern of red, green, green, blue. After downloading the image this colour information needs to be extracted and applied correctly to the image. Until then the filter array can be seen in the image.

Depending on your software you may need to identify and specify the order of the filters. I think yours is GRBG.

Note: images must be debayered before stacking.

Also, to get the right background brightness in the capture screen you'll need to adjust the black point and mid point sliders. These don't affect the underlying data, just the way it is presented.

Olly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It looks as if the image has not been debayered. OSC cameras shoot through a Bayer matrix of colour filters, one per pixel, in a pattern of red, green, green, blue. After downloading the image this colour information needs to be extracted and applied correctly to the image. Until then the filter array can be seen in the image.

Depending on your software you may need to identify and specify the order of the filters. I think yours is GRBG.

Note: images must be debayered before stacking.

Also, to get the right background brightness in the capture screen you'll need to adjust the black point and mid point sliders. These don't affect the underlying data, just the way it is presented.

Olly

Olly

Thanks for your feedback, the image was taken direct from the camera with the Atik Infinity software which is a live stacking product (similar I guess to how the Seestar works).  I have registered a call with Atik, however they have not gotten back to me as yet (over a week now), so I thought a post on the forums would probably be in order.

Kind Regards

Paul.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DeepSkyMan said:

Thanks for your feedback, the image was taken direct from the camera with the Atik Infinity software which is a live stacking product (similar I guess to how the Seestar works).

It's worth checking the Atik software settings for the camera to make sure the bayer pattern is set correctly and that it's recognised that you have the colour version of the Horizon and not the mono.

• Like 1