Data combining

You can stack all your master stacks into one ultimate stack, or load all your pre calibrated (pre calibrated with their respective calibration frames per session, unless you're using a script which allows fresh loading of lights and calibration frames for multiple sessions at once) lights together in one session and register+stack. The latter will be better as you can weigh/reject stack based on all the inputted data at once.

• Like 1

If I gather data from a number of sessions using the same set up then I integrate them as individual subs rather than combine separate session integrations. I’m fortunate in having a permanent setup so I can use the same calibration frames for all of the sessions.

• Like 1

I tend to do the same as @tomato but I also have a permanent setup so nothing is disturbed between sessions. I guess you could argue that the focus position changes between successive nights but tbh I have never noticed any evidence of it affecting the final image.  I'm also not swapping out filters so I guess that also simplifies things a  a lot as well. 

Jim 

I usually setup and breakdown so fresh flats every time, then next day or so I calibrate the lights, background extract each light then save them out.

Upon final integration I then load in all these pre calibrated lights, skip calibration as it's already been done, register and stack with rejection.

Thanks for the replies team!

My set up is semi perm- pier and mount stay out, scope mounted for each session.

Novice question here now- what does the calibration involve?

My stacking work flow is DSS based- load lights, darks, flats and biases and then hit register at which time the software does its thing and hands me a final TIFF file.....

Statistically it is better to make the entire stack of individual subs in a single run if you can match the flats and darks to their appropriate lights. However, I found it made little difference and I often just stacked the stacks. If satellite removal is a big deal there might be a worthwhile gain from stacking all individual subs in one go. Experiment rules.

Olly

• Like 1