SW Star Adventurer on standard Skywatcher tripod?

This seems likely to have come up before but I was unable to find it.

My SW AZEQ6GT is permanently mounted on a pier so the tripod is unused. I have just bought a SW Star Adventurer 2i without a tripod. I'd like to make use of the tripod with my new purchase.

Am I correct in assuming that the tripod rod is M12 1.5 pitch while the Adventurer is 3/8 or 1/4 BSP?

Does anyone know of an adapter which can be used?

Regards

JB

Hi 

I used an old Meade ETX tripod and head and had similar issues of connection to a Star Adventurer EQ. After trying to find a connector on line, in the end I manufactured a connector using a bit of mild steel rectangular bar and a cork pad.  (It is the white bit under the EQ in the attached photo). I am no engineer so doing something similar is not difficult. Both the Star Adventurer and Tripod head are fixed independently to the bar with bolts which are compatible to each part but not both. It is not pretty but works absolutely fine as long as the bar is so arranged not to foul the movement of the EQ. (the Star Adventurer clamp knob can be an issue). I'm not familiar with the details of your tripod and head but I'm sure you could manufacturer something similar to my connector that works for your set up.

Hope this is helpful.. best regards George

thumbnail.jpg

20 hours ago, Longinthetooth said:

I'd like to make use of the tripod with my new purchase.

Hi

Here is my solution to attach my 2i to a Skywatcher EQ3/5 tripod.

IMG_20240903_120648_009.thumb.jpg.bab4a13792a4c77c6fc83fc9aa708ff0.jpg

I happen to have a small workshop, so quite easy for me, and its cheap! Because the AZ adjust post interferes with the ALT adjuster on the 2i I cut 2 discs of scrap alumimium plate, cut a groove in the plates to take the adjuster post, then countersink a 1/4" tripod screw into the top disc to attach the equatorial wedge. Next cut a M10 thread into the countersink hole, drill a 10mm hiole in the second aluminium disc, then buy a  M10x70mm clamping knob from A-Z or ironmonger and grind off the thread for 25mm at the base to allow the bolt to be loose in the tripod head and can engage with the thread cut in the disk and tighten. That's it for a pound or 2.

Good luck in your endeavour

• Like 1