Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't image with Astromaster 130

Decided to have a go with imaging with 5" newt. Got a t-piece & adaptor, (from FLO v quick delivery :)), for my Canon 1000d only to find that I can't actually wind the focuser far enough in to reach prime focus on my Celestron Astromaster 130 :D.

I managed to get an image with a cheap barlow, but that lowers the quality. Can anyone offer any suggestions, other that getting a better quality barlow?

If you're only looking for a couple of mm or so, look at moving the main mirror up the tube... you may be able to get the improvement you need by using the mirror adjusting screws. If that fails, then changing the length of the screws might do the job

Another option may be to change to a low profile focuser....

( I'm assuming moving the whole mirror cell up the tube requires some sort of "major surgery" - last resort stuff)

I think Merlin66 has outlined the main options open to you. If it's more than a few mm you need then a better quality barlow lens might actually be your best option.

John

Hi there,

I had the skywatcher 130 and it had the same problem. I managed some good things, well I was happy, with eyepeice projection. I got a camera adapter thing of ebay and it allowed me to put an eyeice inbetween the camera.

I used a barlow for the web cam on that scope too. It was great to use.

Brian

Great stuff guys.

I did think about moving the mirror up, but it seems more that few mm is needed as the DSLR sensor is placed quite deep within the camera body.

I have had some joy with a web cam for bright stuff, but not for DSO. A good barlow on the Newt isn't such a bad idea anyway, as the DSLR FOV is much wider than my web cam.

I have a project to build a 90mm refractor on the go (lens from Merlin66) which I can obviously tailor for imaging.

Eyepiece projection is another option too, which I might try later on.

This can get expensive once you get hooked!

Thanks for replies.

Archived