Still alive - here's Andromeda in a night

Well, in an attempt to get interested in astrophotography again, now the nights are drawing in, and with a clear night last night, I got myself out to the obsy and set up my Stellamira 90ED and 0.8x reducer, asi2600 and had a go at Andromeda.

Stayed clear all night and got 6 hours of 3 min subs in the end.

So, not a massive amount of integration time, and no Ha - just RGB. But here's the results.

I'm gonna try and make an effort over the next few months - see if I can spark my interest again.

stu

p.s. it looks better than this on screen, but I made the mistake of editing in affinity photo 2 - which i have shunned since it came out as it's rubbish. I thought I'd give it another try - and it's just as rubbish as it was 2 years ago - back to affinity photo 1, but im not re-editing it all

M31b af2new.jpg

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 22

A great result from a single night’s data, I hope an image like this rekindles your enthusiasm.

It’s interesting that you don’t rate AP2, I thought about getting it but in the end I passed as I was happy with what version 1 was capable of. I assumed it would just have some more features than AP1 but did they do something more radical with it?

13 hours ago, powerlord said:

Well, in an attempt to get interested in astrophotography again, now the nights are drawing in, and with a clear night last night, I got myself out to the obsy and set up my Stellamira 90ED and 0.8x reducer, asi2600 and had a go at Andromeda.

Stayed clear all night and got 6 hours of 3 min subs in the end.

So, not a massive amount of integration time, and no Ha - just RGB. But here's the results.

I'm gonna try and make an effort over the next few months - see if I can spark my interest again.

stu

p.s. it looks better than this on screen, but I made the mistake of editing in affinity photo 2 - which i have shunned since it came out as it's rubbish. I thought I'd give it another try - and it's just as rubbish as it was 2 years ago - back to affinity photo 1, but im not re-editing it all

M31b af2new.jpg

amazing image. any tips for someone trying to recreate this themselves? i have to do a 2 or maybe even a 3 panel mosiac :(

25 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

amazing image. any tips for someone trying to recreate this themselves? i have to do a 2 or maybe even a 3 panel mosiac :(

@powerlord Cracking image to kick off a new season. Here's to clearer skies in 2024

To Tiffastrophe:

Redcat 51. I got a cracking Andromeda in one frame

2 hours ago, tomato said:

A great result from a single night’s data, I hope an image like this rekindles your enthusiasm.

It’s interesting that you don’t rate AP2, I thought about getting it but in the end I passed as I was happy with what version 1 was capable of. I assumed it would just have some more features than AP1 but did they do something more radical with it?

where to start - its hellish.

1. no way to save out a v1 version so once you are in there you are stuck with it

2. icons and UI look like it's for a child

3. filters/layers seem to work backwards from how they worked before - i.e. some filter 'up' some 'down'

4. incredibly slow - you can turn on a later a wait seconds for it to appear

5. sometimes moving layer order just deletes layer contents

6. 32 bit mode is terrible- when you save or change to 16 bit mode it can totally change the picture (never occured in v1)

Occasionally I try it to see if its got better or because I need luminosity masks, which is the one nice to have new feature imho.. but otherwise - stay away imho!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

well depends on your optics and camera really. I've done it with redcat and asi2600 before- first time with my 90ed. It needs the 0.8x to get it all in.

Obviously it doesn't stack up looking like that - with a basic stretch it's like this:

M31b-RGB-session_1-crop-lpc-cbg.thumb.jpg.22db72b7242faaa89f55633cd3c98962.jpg

and then into affinity for starx, noise x, curves, levels, yada yada.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, powerlord said:

well depends on your optics and camera really. I've done it with redcat and asi2600 before- first time with my 90ed. It needs the 0.8x to get it all in.

Obviously it doesn't stack up looking like that - with a basic stretch it's like this:

M31b-RGB-session_1-crop-lpc-cbg.thumb.jpg.22db72b7242faaa89f55633cd3c98962.jpg

and then into affinity for starx, noise x, curves, levels, yada yada.

attached is best i've managed via my 533 with a 2 panel. it was not fun :)

m31 cropped 2 panels 2 sessions.jpg

• Like 2