NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two (probably) silly questions....

GazOC

Silly question 1: My Toucam seems to have a white pixel in the same spot, I take it theres nothing I can do about this except keep whatever I'm imaginging away from the dead pixel?

Silly question 2: Instead of using wavelets or unsharp mask on the stacked image, wouldn't you get better results using these two by batch processing the individual frames and then stacking?

Pixels never worry me Gaz i just clone them out anyway i get loads in the summer with the 2hs,

well better image by individual process first ,Hmmm not tried it that way , i think it would be just as good to manually go through each avi , and pick the best then stack , i think that would be good enough TBH , after all as we all know , its good collimation and good seeing that gives good results Gaz , so u cant make agood image out of Rubbish , nope i think just pick the best and stack with a light wavelet tweak, and levels should be enough , thats my view , others may say different , i,m not the best to be honest as my images are,nt that brill in planets .

Rog

Silly question 2: Instead of using wavelets or unsharp mask on the stacked image, wouldn't you get better results using these two by batch processing the individual frames and then stacking?

I've tried this on a globular cluster before but wasn't impressed. I think the reason it's unlikely to work is that the wavelets are actually taking info out of the image. You will be taking out detail which would emerge better during the stacking process.

WRT the white pixel, if it bothers you, you can get rid of it by doing a dark frame subtraction.

Take an AVI of a black cat in a coal shed or some other way of keeping the light out. Turn this into a BMP frame called somethng obvious like darkframe.bmp.

When you open registax click on the darkframe tab, choose your darkframe.bmp, then select your source file. During processing there is a darkframe box to tick. If this is ticked the errant pixel will be subtracted from each frame during the processing.

Dead easy.

Captain Chaos

The easiest way is to put the cover back on the scope, and then take the darkframe AVI.

If only I remebered to follow my own advice and take the damn thing, I'd be laughing!!!!!!!!

Archived