RESOLVED - HEQ5 mount control issue via laptop

I'm spending the current cloudy nights testing my recently completed imaging rig. I have installed the necessary EQMOD / ASCOM drivers/software on my laptop and connected successfully to the mount on COM3. I can slew the mount using the EQMOD manual control panel when connected.

In NINA the mount connects successfully, and I can manually control the mount from within NINA. When I go to Framing and select a target to slew, the mount makes a faint clock and then becomes totally unresponsive even manually until I disconnect and reconnect the EQMOD software.

Last night I connected the mount to a Raspberry Pi using Astroberry. Again I was able to connect and control the mount manually within Ekos but when I tried to slew to a target, the mount was unresponsive.

I am using a USB cable connected to the hand controller port on the mount. I purchased this last week new off eBay. 

The HEQ5 mount came with a Syntrek hand controller (not a Synscan Goto hand controller) - does this mean it's not Goto and the cause of the issue?

I am going to go through all the low level settings in EQMOD and watch YouTube for any pointers but any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by Johns22

So if you have the hand controller plugged in, are you connecting using nina through the hand controller, or are you removing it and connecting direct?  I know i had issues if not set to PC mode if connecting via the hand controller.

I am connecting direct to the mount - the Syntrek hand controller I have does not have the facility to connect the laptop to that.

If you can control the mount with the RA/DEC buttons in NINA/Astroberry, then you have a working connection. The mount's port and usb cable are functioning as they should. Have you tried slewing the mount one full rotation (or -180 to +180 degrees) in RA, and one full rotation in DEC? Does the mount make any noise when you do? Maybe there is a problem with the gears, if you can only slew a short distance.

Also, check your power source. The two most common problems with goto mounts not working, are cables (seems ok) and power problems. Sw mounts need at least 12 V, but work better at a slightly higher voltage (15 V). If the power source can't deliver enough current, the voltage will drop during slewing.

Edited by wimvb

2 hours ago, Johns22 said:

In NINA the mount connects successfully, and I can manually control the mount from within NINA. When I go to Framing and select a target to slew, the mount makes a faint clock and then becomes totally unresponsive even manually until I disconnect and reconnect the EQMOD software.

Last night I connected the mount to a Raspberry Pi using Astroberry. Again I was able to connect and control the mount manually within Ekos but when I tried to slew to a target, the mount was unresponsive.

From what you have said it sounds like the Slew rate maybe set too low, hence no apparent motion.

1 hour ago, Johns22 said:

I am connecting direct to the mount - the Syntrek hand controller I have does not have the facility to connect the laptop to that.

Some  Observations:

• Is your HEQ5 an very old Black model - These had a basic motor controller with no means to process goto commands form a synscan handset or PC.   If you can post a picture of the mount in question, showing the ports where the power / handset plugs in and if possible with the gear cover removed so we can see which drive train is used
  • Recent  HEQ5s will use the same built in motor control board irrespective of the handset used, and will be able to process goto commands.  The fact the SynTrek handset has been supplied means that you don't have a goto option when using the handset alone.  The Syntrek lacks the database of targets (and most of the other functions the SynScan handset offers).
  • The fact that when connected using the handset and control of the mount via the directional buttons on the handset proves there is nothing physically wrong with the hardware
  • Given that you can remove the handset, connect an EQDIR cable between the mount and a PC running the ASCOM platform and EQMOD and Windows sets up a dedicated COM port confirms that there is no Windows related issue such as drivers for the serial port chipset in the EQDIR cable.
  • Having selected the COM port in EQMOD and then have control over the mount by clicking on the directional arrows within the EQMOD application confirms that EQMOD has interrogated the mount, obtained details of the motorboard, and is sending and receiving commands and feedback without issue.   The hardware, ASCOM platform, and software all work.

One thing you could have tried at this point would be to install a planetarium application such as Cartes du Ciel and then once set up confirm that selecting a target by right clicking on it and selecting slew to target makes the mount move under a normal goto speed.

3 hours ago, Johns22 said:

I am using a USB cable connected to the hand controller port on the mount. I purchased this last week new off eBay. 

• Is this a straight forward USB cable or a dedicated EQDIR cable.  If it plugs into the same handset port, thus replacing the handset then its an EQDIR cable.  If it's a USB A-B cable then this suggest the mount has one of the newer motor control board.  Pictures of the mounts panel, and cable would help 

• The fact you can repeat the manual control in NINA again suggest that communications  has been established and two way data communications is happening.  But the puzzling part is when using two independent applications all goto's result in the same unresponsiveness of the mount.  Can you check that the slew rate is set to the max in EQMOD.  If this is somehow defaulting to the lowest rate there is hardly any difference between the slew rate and tracking rate, and all you hear is a slight clunk form the mount as it engages the motors to start the slew.

Once we see images of the mount and the EQDIR cable it can help us rule out some possibilities 

One other possible issues might be related to the laptop as that is the common denominator here.  If you have access to another computer / or laptop. it wold rule out that as being the issue (USB hubs inside the laptop can cause issues).  Also, how are you powering the mount? - HEQ5's like 13 to 15v supply that is capable of providing 3 amps or more.  When slewing an perfectly balances scope each motor will draw over an amp.

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

One other possible issues might be related to the laptop as that is the common denominator here. 

5 hours ago, Johns22 said:

Last night I connected the mount to a Raspberry Pi using Astroberry. Again I was able to connect

A low slew rate can't be ruled out, of course. But two entirely different computers + software were used.

A picture of the mount, cables and power supply would help.

Edited by wimvb

Thanks to all for your comments. I don't have pictures with me, but it is the white HEQ5 Pro, not sure on age. The power supply is connected to an old 12v car battery and I did notice the red power light on the mount flash a few times when trying to get it to work. I have just picked up a 240v to 12v cigarette lighter adaptor during my lunch time to see if this helps as mentioned above.

I will do some checks tonight based on your advice above and update accordingly. Many thanks again! :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Johns22 said:

I have just picked up a 240v to 12v cigarette lighter adaptor

Just make sure it has the right current rating. A slewing mount can draw 3-4 amps easily.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johns22 said:

The power supply is connected to an old 12v car battery and I did notice the red power light on the mount flash a few times when trying to get it to work.

That sounds like the battery isn't up to the task... if the LED is flickering, dropping out etc then this indicates the voltage is dropping under load.

RESOLVED!

Problem was power (or lack of!), a 240v to 12v adaptor has cured the issue thankfully!

Ignore the lack of cable management in the photo but I'm now looking forward to some clear skies!

Thanks for all the advice!

20240716_192912.jpg

• Like 2

• Johns22 changed the title to RESOLVED - HEQ5 mount control issue via laptop
21 hours ago, Johns22 said:

The power supply is connected to an old 12v car battery and I did notice the red power light on the mount flash a few times when trying to get it to work.

LOL - its a shame that wasn't noted before, could have saved hours of typing probably causes and going down the wrong rabbit hole, :-)  but glad it only turned out to be a flat car battery as being the cause.