NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Erm, might help if a model name and number is presented so people can check the spec.

A google image search brings me to this:  https://inside-tech.co.uk/product/fanless-intel-mini-pc-quad-core-dual-display-dual-lan/ with an Intel N100, 4GB of RAM. and 120Gb of RAM. Perhaps @Maverik359 can confirm. 

I'd choose to upgrade RAM and storage at the configure page, unless it is cheaper to buy and install separately.

The N100 isn't a particularly good CPU, about equivalent to a "low-power" Intel i3-9100T, but might do the job for NINA. However, even Windows requires more than 4GB of RAM. You could pick up something MUCH better from eBay for that price, see below: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115966528948?itmmeta=01J2PJ7E94NWSV07T23XVW5K4E&hash=item1b0024cdb4:g:9VIAAOSwaZllSMj5&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4CKlF7sy20BOp4O314j1%2FzGQWZ3P%2FNvpjdf%2FMmnn6Jlc%2FLlI9aAaBIPrs7GhjJbi0kgLlJ3WjQU9NcCua7HJ%2FxkL1ltacG51tqdRad0JvTHn1sFIiBEtbCect9drbVWd%2BRVJZzurXTq3P4FBdWYnDD6opsO%2BQ18Mdy8GcpjKE8Q%2FpFZc%2B4wlIGZ75Aw%2BwVBeRc14AH7bdpBat%2BO2ifUWuhv3LgjeLq7hTxg%2B8sE93wLQsbP3IFlrE0NrJ8wbaWkptKKHYikAL%2FPAkV%2F2H2Z7qWmzlL2JkFOW0O0L3DBl8Cl8|tkp%3ABFBM1OSd0pVk

EDIT:

I just checked the website that @Shimrod linked to, and I'm absolutely horrified that they charge EXTRA to install Windows updates... No way I'd buy anything from this company to be honest. 

image.png.40e25bae16d552c282bab8cd88b4b81f.png

Edited by Martyn87
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Martyn87 said:

The N100 isn't a particularly good CPU, about equivalent to a "low-power" Intel i3-9100T, but might do the job for NINA. However, even Windows requires more than 4GB of RAM. You could pick up something MUCH better from eBay for that price...

If you want a dedicated imaging PC I don't see a problem with the N100 CPU - I have a couple of them I use with NINA at the pier and for that they are perfect. One of the big advantages with these boxes is that most take 12v DC through a standard 5.5/2.1mm (or 5.5/2.5mm) plug.

I used to use one of the ex-business tiny PCs like you linked - an HP260 with an i5-6200U CPU - and switched to the N100 so I can also use it with my travel rig on 12v. I haven't seen any performance issues at all, and still do flats/dark stacking while another imaging sequence is running with no issue (about the most work I put it through, tbh). The N100 is a league above some of the celeron-based PCs I've used in the past.

Buying from AliExpress isn't for everyone, but I got a tiny N100 PC with 16GB RAM/256GB SSD for under £100 delivered.(edit: these prices are changing all the time - see this link Firebat T8 N100 16G 256G, but I recommend searching for "firebat t8 pro plus 16 gb" on aliexpress, and do click into each listing you find, as the prices get discounted. (I can currently see it for £93.59 when I click through a £116 link...) 

It has 3 x USB 3.1 ports, and came with WIndows 11 Pro, which is important for me as I use RDP for remote access. 

PS - unless the original post comes with the Hamilton watch. If it does, buy every one they've got 😄

Edited by adyj1
PS

1 minute ago, adyj1 said:

If you want a dedicated imaging PC I don't see a problem with the N100 CPU - I have a couple of them I use with NINA at the pier and for that they are perfect. One of the big advantages with these boxes is that most take 12v DC through a standard 5.5/2.1mm (or 5.5/2.5mm) plug.

I used to use one of the ex-business tiny PCs like you linked - an HP260 with an i5-6200U CPU - and switched to the N100 so I can also use it with my travel rig on 12v. I haven't seen any performance issues at all, and still do flats/dark stacking while another imaging sequence is running with no issue (about the most work I put it through, tbh). The N100 is a league above some of the celeron-based PCs I've used in the past.

Buying from AliExpress isn't for everyone, but I got a tiny N100 PC with 16GB RAM/256GB SSD for under £100 delivered. It is currently listed at £130 with "sale due soon" - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006904616370. It has 3 x USB 3.1 ports, and came with WIndows 11 Pro, which is important for me as I use RDP for remote access. 

Absolutely agree, the n100 is leagues ahead of a lot of Intels previous attempts at low power CPUs, and still better than something like a Pi 5. That 4GB is memory would be awful though... 

I'd have thought most of these business mini pcs would run on 12v anyway do they not? I've used some of the HP Elitedesk G3 at work before and I know they used a standard kettle lead, but and of the ones that use DC power should be fine. Unless it's just a wattage issue? I've ran desktop pcs on 12v DC power supplies before so I know it's possible. 

That AliExpress PC sounds like a bargain. Might even have a look at those myself... 

9 minutes ago, Martyn87 said:

I'd have thought most of these business mini pcs would run on 12v anyway do they not?

Unfortunately not. They are normally 19 volt through a custom connector. 

9 minutes ago, Martyn87 said:

Absolutely agree, the n100 is leagues ahead of a lot of Intels previous attempts at low power CPUs, and still better than something like a Pi 5. That 4GB is memory would be awful though... 

I'd have thought most of these business mini pcs would run on 12v anyway do they not? I've used some of the HP Elitedesk G3 at work before and I know they used a standard kettle lead, but and of the ones that use DC power should be fine. Unless it's just a wattage issue? I've ran desktop pcs on 12v DC power supplies before so I know it's possible. 

That AliExpress PC sounds like a bargain. Might even have a look at those myself... 

Depends on the mini pc.  My nuc takes 19v (watch your leads.  Don't want to accidently cook your mount.)

Just a question. Are these mini pcs okay without weatherproofing when it gets freezing, I doubt the internals will be cool for dew to get inside however but interested to know.

5 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Unfortunately not. They are normally 19 volt through a custom connector. 

Given this, ignore everything I said completely! Thanks @adyj1 and @Ratlet. Seems daft they're not using 12v, I guess they're just too power hungry and still doing some stepping down internally!

@Elp people have ran PCs at sub-ambient temps for years, although mostly in competitive overclocking. It's not good for them, but there are workarounds. I doubt any off the shelf PCs are coated in vasaline to stop moisture getting where it shouldn't though 😂

8 minutes ago, Martyn87 said:

competitive overclocking

It's all about liquid nitrogen now, water cooling bare minimum 

Edited by Elp

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

Just a question. Are these mini pcs okay without weatherproofing when it gets freezing, I doubt the internals will be cool for dew to get inside however but interested to know.

They are generally OK outside but need a bit of protection from getting damp/wet.

In the observashedory I run mine under a plastic box lid if it is going to be dewey. That protected it when it got really icy as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, adyj1 said:

I run mine under a plastic box lid if it is going to be dewey. That protected it when it got really icy as well. 

This works surprisingly well, when I'm running batteries I leave them on the floor and loosely cover them with a matt offcut or cardboard. They don't frost over or get dew.

I'm using a refurbished HP Elite Desk 800 G2 Mini, £109.99 off ebay prices vary a bit --> HP Elite Desk Mini - Intel Quad core i5, 16GB, 250GB SSD for the C drive and a 500GB drive.  Came with Windows 11 installed. The Dell equivalents are readily available. Nice thing about them is they work well running headless - l have a long ethernet cable in to the house so can control pretty much everything from my 'office'.

Chris

I've updated my post above, but if you go to Ali express and search for "firebat t8 pro plus 16 gb" and then click through each of the listing's, one of the £116 N100s is on offer at £93.59 **+20% VAT** ,with free one-week (or so) delivery. 

Edited by adyj1
Added VAT
  • Like 2

I use a BMAX Mini Pc 6GB+64GB eMMC Celeron N3350 Fanless Desktop Computerr  with Win 10 which I got on Amazom 18 monthes ago. (£90ish) Not an outstandiung spec, but it has 4 USB ports and runs on 12v. It happily runs ZWO camera , focuser and filterwheel, camera rotator, mount and guide camera,: NINA, Carte du Ciel and PHD2 work flawlessly, and I connect to it using Google Remote Desktop for configuration and copying the nights images to my processiing PC. If you are just looking to use it as an imaging system PC, then a high spec is not imnportant, well for DSO.s, I don't do planetary imaging! For protection against dew I use an adapted plastic ice cream tub. Prime day is coming, so maybe some good offers out there. Good luck in your quest.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, adyj1 said:

I've updated my post above, but if you go to Ali express and search for "firebat t8 pro plus 16 gb" and then click through each of the listing's, one of the £116 N100s is on offer at £93.59 **+20% VAT** ,with free one-week (or so) delivery. 

Or a no hassle Intel N100 mini PC from Amazon with 8Gb of RAM/256GB SSD for £126. And easier customer service if it needs returning. Better spec than the original link and half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PELADN-WI-6-Desktop-Computer-Support/dp/B0CJBQD4DC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2OR5N5WHN7XNL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.XO9VD8DbXvCc0wr3l9gy56nJmog9iaQ5uT87zKUboqJDE-C-QSQWKwj6quB-pmnjqAhbOXAZXCjheS65Q4G7iyxqHWX6_5Jpoknr3lVhC2y4XzGyFH8XMZfSkmoP5VF5p8lFfEgmLyvn9yJ7gUFGNgF7i-Gq154m9Jg_mR9CY5Qn26yK80zyLGorutiZ3U0bbZlHA20Ib3b9f83XpuERyNiEw2BEB_-CimfczIp1igk.6v9H1Ma6ZVMRGqcMPyqy75nsi11zA_4EPiQGt7ixLFw&dib_tag=se&keywords=intel%2Bn100&qid=1721027075&refinements=p_36%3A-18500%2Cp_85%3A20930949031&rnid=9708204031&rps=1&sprefix=intel%2Bn100%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.23648568-4ba5-49f2-9aa6-31ae75f1e9cd&th=1

• Like 1