NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This is when the bottom falls out of the Solar Imaging Market

The Sun may be bright but an imagers future isn't.

From my archive we have 25th June 2020 when the Sun was quiet and imaging gear was cheap. I wonder how many of us will still be into this hobby then.08_38_30_lapl3_ap1135.jpg.c1dd2fca73fda5db101ab7dd72715aad.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Hughsie,

this capture was six days before yours (19 June 2020 15:38UTC):

image.thumb.png.bb17b3538855aa63403752cd5c728a86.png

My imaging and processing skills were still pretty poor, but having those prominences visible was a jaw-dropping experience at the time (and there was one whole sunspot at the upper-left!).

What a difference a few years make (27 June 2024 08:23UTC)

image.thumb.png.d284b221ef65a71d51d0f700625aed07.png

Such a shame that she will go back to this quiet featureless orange we saw some four years ago....

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck
typo
  • Like 3

Yes, @Hughsie, I definitely will still be doing solar. I knew when I bought my solar scope that the Sun goes through its cycle, and that will be periods (a few years give or take) when it is quiet and pretty inactive. The solar scope may not come out as much then, but it will still be used. As @inFINNity Deck image shows, there can still be moments of activity, so always worth keeping a eye on, and keep observing it. 

• Like 1

Even during solar minimum, there’s usually a prom or two to justify the effort. It’s when mica-based filters and larger apertures are more useful, to get close up to what are often small features.