NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I Accidentally Found a Mars/Jupiter Conjunction This August!!

wesdon1

Hi all. I haven't read anywhere about this event? I was scrolling through days forward in Stellarium earlier and I found a Jupiter/Mars conjunction, which starts on roughly on the night of 13th August this year. Mars travels right across the face of Jupiter over 2-3 days. That will be an amazing Planetary imaging opportunity!

Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

I just had a look at this on stellarium, sadly it doesn't look like they come much closer than 20 arcmins. I'm not sure how much difference geographical location makes for planetary conjunctions, I would guess very little, but possibly worth checking your location settings in stellarium?

Still should be a nice visual conjunction!

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Astronomist said:

I just had a look at this on stellarium, sadly it doesn't look like they come much closer than 20 arcmins. I'm not sure how much difference geographical location makes for planetary conjunctions, I would guess very little, but possibly worth checking your location settings in stellarium?

Still should be a nice visual conjunction!

Hi. I'm really confused because ( pics to follow in 10 minutes, on this thread ) Mars is obviously crossing the face of Jupiter on Stellarium? I have zoomed right in too, and Mars crosses the face of Jupiter over 2-3 days/nights? I'm baffled? LOL.

16 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

Hi, I just had a look at the event from several different locations around the world, doesn't seem to make any difference. I assume maybe a bug in your stellarium?

@Astronomist Really?? Wow that's so weird?? I have the latest version of Stellarium too, so it's baffling why mine is showing such a different result to yours? I don't believe my PC has bugs, but I will definitely look into it. Also I'm going to delete Stellarium and re-install it freshly onto my PC again, and see if that changes anything? I'll keep you posted.

26 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

Hi, I just had a look at the event from several different locations around the world, doesn't seem to make any difference. I assume maybe a bug in your stellarium?

Hi again. I've just re-installed Stellarium and it's still exactly the same results? maybe look on your Stellarium and go to the exact date and time as I have in front of me right now - 14th August, 2024, 2am. Location - Liverpool, England. ( although I doubt our location on earth has a significant effects on our views/perspective of solar system? ) 

Regards, Wes.

With all due respect , if there were a Martian transit of Jupiter on the cards then it wouldn't have just been stumbled upon by someone randomly playing on Stellarium , it would be in every astronomer's diary across the globe ... 😏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

With all due respect , if there were a Martian transit of Jupiter on the cards then it wouldn't have just been stumbled upon by someone randomly playing on Stellarium , it would be in every astronomer's diary across the globe ... 😏

@Steve Ward I wasn't "playing" lol I was looking forward in time to gauge the appearances of the planets, to plan ahead for imaging with my new iOptron 8" Ritchey Cretien 'scope! 

It just baffles me, because as I mentioned in the original post, I hadn't read or heard of such a brilliant conjunction anywhere in the media or online? It's a mystery! lol

Just now, wesdon1 said:

@Steve Ward I wasn't "playing" lol I was looking forward in time to gauge the appearances of the planets, to plan ahead for imaging with my new iOptron 8" Ritchey Cretien 'scope! 

It just baffles me, because as I mentioned in the original post, I hadn't read or heard of such a brilliant conjunction anywhere in the media or online? It's a mystery! lol

I suspect that the planets are in the correct relevant places but the scale of Mars and Jupiter is wrong.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

Yes my thinking exactly, I suspect this is an issue with the newest version of stellarium. Most software has some bugs and glitches, so presumably stellarium does too.

@Astronomist yes I agree, there has to be some sort of software issue? Bizarre! lol

Just now, Cornelius Varley said:

I suspect that the planets are in the correct relevant places but the scale of Mars and Jupiter is wrong.

@Cornelius Varley oohh my goodness THAT is my mistake!! The scale of Jupiter and Mars are set at 150x so THAT is why I'm seeing them cross each other in stellarium!! DOH!! I'm such a dope!! LOL. I feel so stupid now!!

Thank You for clearing up the mystery for me my friend!! 😩😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Cornelius Varley oohh my goodness THAT is my mistake!! The scale of Jupiter and Mars are set at 150x so THAT is why I'm seeing them cross each other in stellarium!! DOH!! I'm such a dope!! LOL. I feel so stupid now!!

Thank You for clearing up the mystery for me my friend!! 😩😂dude 😁

Chill dude 😁

It’s still going to be an event worth getting up for.

Thanks for flagging it up 👍

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Chill dude 😁

It’s still going to be an event worth getting up for.

Thanks for flagging it up 👍

@Cornelius Varley lol and thank you again for solving the mystery. 

Yes I can't wait to see how I get on imaging the event. I will have to test my FOV for my bigger 'scopes and see which is best suited for it.

Off subject, up here in Liverpool we're getting our first cloudless night in months, so fingers crossed the forecast holds and I'll get the chance to test out my 8" RC scope. I'm expecting problems, there always are when imaging with new gear, but hopefully I'll get some decent data to play with.

Edited by wesdon1

Thanks for the heads up!  Your stellarium might be overly optimistic, but I had no idea.  Frames nicely for both of them with my 8mm starguider on my 102ed.  Looks like I'll be getting up early for that one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Thanks for the heads up!  Your stellarium might be overly optimistic, but I had no idea.  Frames nicely for both of them with my 8mm starguider on my 102ed.  Looks like I'll be getting up early for that one.

@Ratlet me neither mate! I am still looking forward to capturing it though! I just pray the weather God's don't cloud us all out on the night/morning! LOL