Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Doubt between two 130/650 reflectors.

Hello,
I am looking at a reflector telescope with possibly a 130mm mirror and 650mm focal length.
I have two options:
- Starsense Explorer 130 DX, comes with tripod and altazimuth mount and SS search system.
- Starsense Explorer, 130/650 Dobson, the telescope is identical to the previous one, but the difference is in the mount, in this case it is a tabletop, similar to the Dobson system, but single arm, and it is to be placed on a table although I think It could be placed on a tripod... the search system is the same, the SS.
What is your opinion on this?
advantages of one over the other?
thank you so much

• Like 1

I’m hoping I looked up correctly both of those Celestron scopes…..

As you say they’re the same scope but on different mounts.  The table top model requires (rather obviously) to be stood on a table or something similar.  I have seen local clubmates use table top scopes and it’s surprising how wobbly it is unless the table is a heavy solid one. A wobbling scope is very frustrating indeed…

I would sooner have a full height tripod but that does depend how stable the supplied tripod is.  A wobbly tripod is another experience to be avoided.

If it were me I’d do a thorough online search to determine just how effective the tripod mounted scope is.  With the risk of sounding snooty please beware of a beginner’s review because they may not have the experience to know what’s good and what isn’t…..

Hopefully others may chime in with further comments.

All the best in finding the right telescope that meets your needs.

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of the tripod and mount on the 130DX. But it looks like both scopes have a standard dovetail and can therefore be mounted on different mounts. I would be tempted to go for the much cheaper dobsonian, and if you cannot make t work for you, upgrade the mount to something like this, which is rock solid: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

You would need to find a way of attaching the Starsense unit to the tube though - many people have done it, depends how confident you are at DIY. Once you have the Starsense unit, you can attach it to any scope (with a bit of DIY) so can potentially upgrade the scope if you wanted to. Endless possibilitiies! 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1