Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Lunar Images from the 12th June

Nice clear blue skies for a while and imaging the moon just before sunset produces the best clarity at my location.

For some reason I seem to be getting banding on images posted here, but the originals seem perfectly ok.

Maybe the file resolution is too high, but not all images are affected.

If it persists I will have to make low res copies for posting, which may affect their impact.

Celestron C11 Edge HD

ZWO ASI 183mm

Proplanet 642 IR filter

15% of 2000 frames at 19fps

Four pane mosaic plus some selective enlargements.

Thanks for looking.

2024-06-12 Moon pp642.jpg

2024-06-12 Moon pp642 c1.jpg

2024-06-12 Moon pp642 c2.jpg

2024-06-12 Moon pp642 c3.jpg

2024-06-12 Moon pp642 c4.jpg

2024-06-12 Moon pp642 c5.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Roy. Lovely shots! Very detailed and sharp! 
Hope you can advise.  I have recently bought an EdgeHD 8” and I have be looking at filters for imaging the Moon and later in the year planets using my ASI585mc. I have a Baader neodymium filter that I have been using with success but I am thinking about maybe getting the Baader 685nm ir pass filter or the ProPlanet to achieve sharper and more detailed results? Worth spending the money on or maybe a different filter as there seems to be many to choose from! 

Edited by JonHigh

8 hours ago, JonHigh said:

Hi Roy. Lovely shots! Very detailed and sharp! 
Hope you can advise.  I have recently bought an EdgeHD 8” and I have be looking at filters for imaging the Moon and later in the year planets using my ASI585mc. I have a Baader neodymium filter that I have been using with success but I am thinking about maybe getting the Baader 685nm ir pass filter or the ProPlanet to achieve sharper and more detailed results? Worth spending the money on or maybe a different filter as there seems to be many to choose from! 

Hi Jon glad you like my images. I expect your C8 Edge will perform similarly to my C11 Edge which is excellent.  Regarding filters, anything in the red / IR range is going to improve your results, but you also need to consider the light transmission of the filter. For example my PP807 requires 3x the exposure as the PP642 which has a much larger band pass. I guess the Baader 685 might be similar but you should check the specs first before buying. Generally I prefer the less extreme IR's as I get better results from them. I can highly recommend the PP642 which I think is also less expensive than the Baader. Hope, this helps.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ags said:

Superb images, and exceptionally well processed!!

Thank you, glad you like them. Processing was a challenge due to the bright daytime sky, but as you can see I managed to darken it down !

5 hours ago, orion25 said:

Brilliant, Roy! Excellent processing and beautiful presentation. I feel like I'm there 🌓

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. I am striving to make an image detailed enough to blow up huge and hang on the wall. From your favourable comments it seems I am almost there !

11 hours ago, JonHigh said:

Hi Roy. Thank you for the info. Appreciated. 

The Svbony IR pass 685nm filter provides good results and is cheaper than the others mentioned. Several of us actually use one for  moon and Jupiter imaging.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Lovely captures once again Roy. I am going to try and get a few lunar imaging sessions in before the return of the planets.

Thank you. The evening lunar season is drawing to a close so hopefully the weather will clear for you soon. Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gonariu said:

Beautiful photographs! To darken the sky at twilight I saw that the Baader Contrast Booster filter is also good.

Thank you. I have a contrast booster filter but haven't used it for ages. Will give it a try sometime. 

• Like 1