Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short report, May 9th

gman

It didn't look too good early on but from 10:15 (ish) gaps started appearing in the clouds so I thought it would be worth a try. Was set up from about 10:30. Started out on Saturn as seems to be my habit at the moment. Titan was clearly visible and Rhea (I think) was also just visible. The rings looked as good as ever. I can't see my self ever tiring of that view.

Since the telescope was roughly pointed towards Leo I decided to have a quick look for the triplet. Finding Chertan was no trouble but the rising moon made thwarted my triplet attempt. Hardly surprising but you never know.

Since the moon was washing out a good part of the southern sky, I decided to see what I could find in Cassiopeia. Using Ruchbah as a starting point, I went looking for the Owl Cluster (NGC 457). I found it in fairly short order (surprising for me). The 'eyes' really stand out. Using my 9mm ep I was able to make out a fair few stars in the cluster.

After the Owl, I returned to Ruchbah and found M103, again I could make out quite a few stars with the 9mm. Heading towards εCas I found one more cluster although I'm not 100% sure on which one. Using stellarium, I think it was either NGC 654 or 663.

That about concludes it. I had a brief look at the full moon but being low in the sky it was very shimmery, probably because of warm air coming out of a shed full of cows as much as anything else. There was also a cow just behind licking a salt lick for 20mns solid which was getting on my nerves:rolleyes:

All in all, not a bad 90 minutes or so.

"Hardly surprising but you never know."

You're absolutely right.. you never know! :D

"There was also a cow just behind licking a salt lick for 20mns solid which was getting on my nerves:rolleyes:"

Beats the heck out of a neighbor with security lights, lol.

Thanks, gman.. very welcome report!! :):)

Archived