Report: May 9th, 9:30pm - 11pm

ashenlight

I had a really satisfying evening outside yesterday. My mum joined me too, which made it extra special. It was remarkably clear considering the trouble with clouds a lot of members were having - so I felt lucky. My first time rating seeing conditions, but on a closer inspection of stars through the eyepiece I'd say last night was a 5 on the Pickering Scale - just 'Fair' (See The Pickering Seeing Scale)

We started with Saturn and I used Sky and Telescope's Java Utility to ascertain which Moon was which - we spotted Titan and Rhea. Mum loves to watch it drift across the FOV, got her using the fine adjustment handles to follow it across. Then we swung over to Gemini, after pointing out the constellation to her so she could make out the twins, I got Castor in the eyepiece and saw my first double - what a sight. The view was quite 'bubbly' and they danced around a bit, but we were both suitably impressed! Ran upstairs and got a few facts about Castor to add to the observing: Around 52 light years away and that each of the stars of the binary system is, in fact, a double in itself.

Then I decided to do a bit of star hoping as the sky was looking so magnificent. We started with Ursa Major - Mum didn't realise the constellation actually stretched further than the 'saucepan'- so I showed her the rest of the bear. Could also make out Draco, although it was fairly faint, and we had a nice time looking at the colour of Arcturus, it really does blaze away up there. We were walking around the garden to get the views inbetween ours and the neighbours house, when this VERY bright and VERY hot looking star peeked over the neighbour's roof. It was a very bright blue/white colour and shining brilliantly, nearly as bright as Arcturus. I wasn't expecting to see it there, so flipped the star chart around so I was looking at the right part. It was Vega!! I was so excited to see it... really not sure why but it was a real 'wow' moment - truly awesome. I've never seen it before, or I have, and not known what star it was. It was lovely to see the Summer Triangle - Vega, Deneb and Altair making its way into view over the houses. One of those moments that makes all those cloudy nights worth it.

Using Vega, we made out Hercules and the 'Keystone' - although it was very faint and took alot of effort to make out - is it a faint constellation anyway, or is my light pollution particularly bad? Gonna try for M13 soon, now I know where to look :)

We didn't really do much observing with the telescope, but I think my night with Mum and the stars last night shows that astronomy doesn't have to rely on a telescope to be a worthwhile hobby. A good star map, dark adapted eyes and a bit of patience really is all you need.

Amanda

That's a nice account of your observing night Amanda. To share it with your Mum too is wonderful, and I would imagine a rarity amongst amateur astronomers. I guess I may get a few admonishments saying that:D. We have not had many nights of even adequate seeing, but the one you shared with Mum would have been a welcome good one. Let's hope there is more to come, and you both can enjoy more of the wonders of the Universe.

Ron.:)

I do like reading your reports!! Makes up for the fact that seeing conditions here (Paignton) rate as "rubbish" on the Mikea Seeing Scale :) . Maybe Mrs Ashenlight senior will be our next new member!

Hello Amanda,

Great report.

Here's something to ponder ...

It takes light from the Sun 9 minutes to reach the Earth.

As you looked at Saturn last night you saw it 75 minutes in the past - that's how long it took the light to reach us.

Clear skies.

Thanks Amanda, there's so many 'wow' moments out there!! It's lovely you're able to share them with, your Mum. :)

The Castle Point Astronomy Club near Rayleigh, Essex has a wonderful planet Java program you can download and run without needing to be online: LINK

Click on 'The Planets' in the left sidebar to download "planets202.zip"

Nice report. Sounds like you had a good time.

I've tried on occasions to show family members the view. Saturn is usually the first port of call. My mum, although enthusiastic, really struggles to get a decent view through the eyepiece. She's got ad eyesight and retina damage to boot. She was still impressed when she saw Saturn though.

Archived