Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephants trunk nebula versus na nebula

Really? I don't think about it too much. I still use a set of darks + bias taken 2 years ago. I took them at night, in shed, if I'm not wrong. 🙂

People say that the good astrophotography comes from the good stuff at most at 50%. I would say no more than 40%, rest comes from the post-processing. 

• Like 1

I'd say it's 20-30pc data acquisition, the rest is PP. You can have the best data in the world but without PP the image will be black.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, OSC filter doesn't have to break the bank, Cuiv did a favourable review of the SVbony 220 dual narrowband OSC filter, it's on offer at Ali as we speak, for that price it's a must buy.

You also can technically use ha/S2/o3 singular filters with an OSC camera but you'll be limiting the photons being received by the sensor. 

Be prepared, if you do decide on mono, budget the price of the camera or more for filters, you can get good deals used, I saw one yesterday which was an absolute steal.

Edited by Elp

Posted (edited)

I have the Svbony 220 dual narrowband filter too, and it’s superb and I could find no real difference from the Optolong L-Xtreme, I would not be suprised if they were the exact same glass…

IMG_2701.png

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

I'd say it's 20-30pc data acquisition, the rest is PP. You can have the best data in the world but without PP the image will be black.

OK, 20-30% is the acquisition, so 10-20% are the skills directly related to it. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Vroobel said:

OK, 20-30% is the acquisition, so 10-20% are the skills directly related to it. 🙂

A friend of mine calls it pointless as "the computer does all the work" to get to the final image. Help us all if that is the attitude applied to all walks of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Elp said:

A friend of mine calls it pointless as "the computer does all the work" to get to the final image. Help us all if that is the attitude applied to all walks of life.

i just say "Alexa process my image data from last night" and come back 3 minutes later and its all done.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i just say "Alexa process my image data from last night" and come back 3 minutes later and its all done.

Together with a knock at the door with some random groceries and stuff...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i joke, but with chatgp it might not be that far away.

Has Alexa ever talked back to you randomly, it's been known to happen...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elp said:

Has Alexa ever talked back to you randomly, it's been known to happen...

Yup.

I really don't think they're a good idea, but, for some people they are invaluable. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Elp said:

You can have the best data in the world but without PP the image will be black.

Regarding the good data...

I'm bored without my data to work on, so I downloaded free SHO & RGB data sets to process them for the first time. 🙂 The M1 goes as first, then the M16, the Helix and M8 as 2-tile mosaic.

https://erellaz.com/

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Regarding the good data...

I'm bored without my data to work on, so I downloaded free SHO & RGB data sets to process them for the first time. 🙂 The M1 goes as first, then the M16, the Helix and M8 as 2-tile mosaic.

https://erellaz.com/

i was tempted to ask if anyone knew a good source for data to play with. this is really handy ty

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i was tempted to ask if anyone knew a good source for data to play with. this is really handy ty

I think it's an overkill for you at this moment. You should try to find similar source but containing the OSC data. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

I think it's an overkill for you at this moment. You should try to find similar source but containing the OSC data. 

Lol you're absolutely correct. I downloaded a couple of the RGB only datasets and didnt get much further.

I've seen some YouTubers link more suitable (for me, hopefully) and will give them a go.

Also some people on astrobin?

I still need to find a Goldilocks tutorial on gimp on masks and layers and stuff.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

Using AI to completely process images is not necessarily the best way.  Look at how many different results people get and one persons way is not necessarily the way you would want it done.  Some people like darker images than others just for starters 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Woosh! You do realise the OP was very likely joking?

Well he is a bit of a joker, but to be honest the way things are going, I dont think it is beyond the realms of impossibility, we already have AI scripts.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2