Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece choice

Hello

Newbie, using a Skywatcher 1200 f8 dob, moderate light pollution.

for planetary / detailed lunar viewing, plus any other times when it might be useful, I have a choice between a Baader Hyperion 5mm, 68 degrees, and a ES 6.7mm 82 degrees.

ignoring price, any recommendations would be welcome.

thanks

I wouldn't recommend the Hyperion, they aren't so good in fast scopes. The ES is good for the price. So the 6.7mm would be x179, great for Jupiter; the 4.7mm would be x255 - fine for the moon when the seeing is good.

If you want to spend more money, then the Baader Morpheus 6.5mm is highly rated by many.

The ES is excellent if you don't need long eye relief and don't need to wear glasses (or take them off when viewing). I ultimately sold mine on as I wanted LER eyepieces.

Posted (edited)

What about Orthos?

I have astigmatism and use glasses daily, but I prefer the Orthos over anything else for planets and Moon.

Edited by Vroobel

1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

I have astigmatism and use glasses daily, but I prefer the Orthos over anything else for planets and Moon.

A 40-45° fov isn't really practical for undriven Dobs. Around 80° gives you more 'hang time'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I wouldn't recommend the Hyperion, they aren't so good in fast scopes. The ES is good for the price. So the 6.7mm would be x179, great for Jupiter; the 4.7mm would be x255 - fine for the moon when the seeing is good.

If you want to spend more money, then the Baader Morpheus 6.5mm is highly rated by many.

Another vote for the Morpheus range. I've retired virtually all my EPs below 20mm since I started using them. For planetary and lunar use the 6.5mil is superb and the 4.5 likewise if seeing permits.

Images are sharp, they have a flat, aberration- free FOV of around 78° and I now feel no need to "upgrade" them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Pentax XW line is very good from 3.5mm to 10mm, and they're $30 cheaper than the Morpheus line, at least here in the US (Pentax = $269, Morpheus = $299).

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1