NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Occultations of Saturn

Posted (edited)

The magnificently ringed planet Saturn is currently undergoing a series of twelve monthly lunar occultations beginning this past April and ending next February.

As always, each occultation will only be observable in a specifically determined region.

Two will be observable from Western Europe including the British Isles: predawn 2024 AUG 21 and early evening 2025 JAN 04.

One will be observable from western North America: predawn 2024 SEP 17.

One will be observable from southern Florida USA: evening 2024 NOV 10.

During the weeks prior to those four events, I’ll provide more details in the forum for Observing-Lunar.

OccSerSaturn.JPG.b82db97cd690e2930cb46cbc75c0319c.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the heads up I've put these in my calendar. The last moon/planet meet up I saw was Venus, a fine sight and worth the effort it to to see it. Saturn will probably be even better.

• Like 2

Thanks CentaurZ.
This is one of the events that pushed me into "splashinng the cash" on a new "mobile rig", partly because with recent housebuilding around here we've gone from Bortle 4 a decade ago to Bortle 5 now and I susp[ect that will only get worse. I'll be off to Nortj Herts / South Cambs to escape to darker?? areas on August 21

Tony D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up. SkySafari has contact at 4.26 am on the 21st Aug (for me in Taunton). 26 degrees altitude in the south west sky.

IMG_3099.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Below are my data and graphics for the 2024 AUG 21 Saturn occultation as seen from London's Harrison Planetarium. The timings are for Saturn's center. "Star" is Saturn.

OC240821.JPG.8f20feeafbd498cbbad64152d97de81e.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

On 14/07/2024 at 18:24, CraigT82 said:

Thanks for the heads up. SkySafari has contact at 4.26 am on the 21st Aug (for me in Taunton). 26 degrees altitude in the south west sky.

IMG_3099.png

Forgot you were so close Craig, I’m in Crewkerne 👍

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Forgot you were so close Craig, I’m in Crewkerne 👍

Ahh yes not far at all, we should go for a pint halfway in Illminster or somewhere like that. Can chat at the Cerne Abbas star party, really looking forward to that as not been to one since Luksall in about 2015 I think. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Ahh yes not far at all, we should go for a pint halfway in Illminster or somewhere like that. Can chat at the Cerne Abbas star party, really looking forward to that as not been to one since Luksall in about 2015 I think. 

Sounds like a plan 👍

• Like 1

Now marked in my calendar with email and phone notifications set. I only hope that the astro gods are in a benevolent mood then. Hoping to capture a series of images and maybe an animation 🤞.

• Like 3