NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M97 - The Owl Nebula

Posted (edited)

The Owl Nebula, a planetary nebula situated about 2000 light years away in Ursa Major, is a quite bright PN and therefore often imaged. I picked it as last nights target for the Margareta Westlund Telescope in Spain since the moon is out and it is a great Ha and Oiii object. This is a mix of data. I collected the detailed Ha and Oiii data during 3.5 h with the Planewave 17 CDK (the "Margareta Westlund Telescope"),  and mixed this with IDAS NBZ data collected with my dual RASA-8 rig in Sweden. The latter contributed especially to the star color and the dusty and often missed outer ring. I am quite pleased with the details picked up with the 17" scope.

Totally about 13 hours of data processed in PI and PS with the XTerminator tools. Cameras were ASI6200MM (with Chroma 3nm Oiii and Baader 3.5 nm Ha filters) for the Planewave and ASI2600MC for the RASAs.

Cheers, Göran

20240516 M97 MWT HOO PS15sign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 19

23 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

That's really nice. Lovely colours and detail.

Thx a lot, much appreciated!

Excellent image Goran. So much extra detail over what one usually sees, like a whole new M97. Yes, I do like this one.

1 hour ago, Hals said:

Excellent image Goran. So much extra detail over what one usually sees, like a whole new M97. Yes, I do like this one.

Thanks a lot Hals! Yes, I was thrilled to see all the detail this 17" scope could catch, and I think I was lucky with the sky in Spain last night.

23 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Beautiful, Goran. Lovely fine detail in the main nebula along with fine outer region.

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly! I was surprised how much detail that 17" CDK could gather in just 3.5 hours. Nights are getting short also in southern Spain, and even shorter when the computer down there did not want to collaborate for the first hours.