NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini PC for planetary imaging

Hello, I am planning to buy a mini PC for the planetary imaging setup I am currently building. The first question is whether to go for a quieter 4c computer with passive cooling or something like a high-performance Beelink Ser but with active cooling. I wonder whether the working fan will not introduce excessive vibrations into the system.
The second issue is the mounting. I have az-eq6. What would you recommend, OTA or mount installation? Please let me know any possible ways to attach this computer.
I want the best possible performance so that I can remotely control the session and the highest possible number of fps.

Regards, Chris, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

6 minutes ago, Mumia said:

Hello, I am planning to buy a mini PC for the planetary imaging setup I am currently building. The first question is whether to go for a quieter 4c computer with passive cooling or something like a high-performance Beelink Ser but with active cooling. I wonder whether the working fan will not introduce excessive vibrations into the system.
The second issue is the mounting. I have az-eq6. What would you recommend, OTA or mount installation? Please let me know any possible ways to attach this computer.
I want the best possible performance so that I can remotely control the session and the highest possible number of fps.

Regards, Chris, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Or go for one of these, best of both worlds, small and compact with fan cooling when needed….👍🏻

Do vibrations when the fan starts affect image stability in any way, or do they generate excessive vibrations?

The 80 or 100mm fan included in a mini pc stands no chance of causing vibrations that will affect your images.

If that could be so, anyone with a cooled astrocam would be stuffed!

I'd say choose whatever PC is both small enough and powerful enough to be useful to you and don't worry about the cooling!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mumia said:

Do vibrations when the fan starts affect image stability in any way, or do they generate excessive vibrations?

No, I had it on my tube and no issues at all…👍🏻

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the data capture speed like with one of these? I have one I use on my DSO setup, but use a laptop for my solar imaging.  Both have SSDs, but not all SSDs are created equal, the laptop has an NMVe M2 drive, the Mele Q3 SSD is a lot slower.