Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair 290m PHD2 issues

Posted (edited)

Hi All. Hoping someone can help? 
I have an Altair GP-Cam 290M camera which works fine in APT, SharpCap and AltairCapture albeit it the apps see two instances for some reason. Not sure how to sort that out? 
However my main issues is with PHD2. It will connect to the camera but will not do anything else just says “stopped.” Started a new wizard and ran the darks and get a message “Operation Failed - no changes have been made.” I know the camera works but PHD doesn’t! Loaded with the previous version of PHD and just times out. I’ve used different cables with no difference. Running on Windows11 everything is up to date as of yesterday. 
Does anyone have this issue or do you know how to fix it?  Help would be appreciated! 
incidentally my AA178M works absolutely fine!

Edited by JonHigh

I had this issue with a 290C! I was trying to use it with Stellarmate but also with PHD2 as a standalone guider. I can't exactly remember how to sort it but I think it was something to do with one of the camera selection settings in the connection screen in PHD. Have you tried them all? Ascom, Touptek, etc I will have to have a bit of a search and a think but there is a way to get it to work

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your reply. Yup I have tried everything including a full computer reset annoying. However what’s more annoying it’s that after reloading the Apps on the fresh install of windows 11 it’s still the same! 
I have in the meantime dusted off an old Windows 10 Dell laptop and going to see if that works. I’ll post again once that’s done. If you remember how you fixed it I will be keen to know as I like my Lenovo! 
Wondering if it’s Windows 11?

Edited by JonHigh

1 hour ago, JonHigh said:

Thank you for your reply. Yup I have tried everything including a full computer reset annoying. However what’s more annoying it’s that after reloading the Apps on the fresh install of windows 11 it’s still the same! 
I have in the meantime dusted off an old Windows 10 Dell laptop and going to see if that works. I’ll post again once that’s done. If you remember how you fixed it I will be keen to know as I like my Lenovo! 
Wondering if it’s Windows 11?

It's not Windows. It's something to do with how it connects to PHD. Is there an option for Auxiliary camera?

Posted (edited)

Hi again. I have just loaded all the software on a fresh install of windows 10 on another laptop and the two instances are gone. Just one appears now. Off to a good start! 
However just opened PHD2 up and went through the setup wizard, did the Darks and the Bad Pixel Map. Great it works then went to start looping and that’s it. Just says ‘Stopped’ and that’s that. Massively frustrating. 
Can’t find an aux camera in the drop down list if that where you mean?

Edited by JonHigh

Not sure then. I dug out the old spare laptop which I last used it on to see if there are any clues in the settings. Nothing appears obvious. Perhaps the Auxiliary option is mount peripherals that I was thinking of. It definitely worked for me at the time but your issues definitely ring a bell also. I belive I also had issues getting a dark library to complete. I just can't remember what I did to fix it!

20240509_212140.jpg

20240509_212341.jpg

Posted (edited)

Altair support came back to me this morning with a solution! 
Downloaded the Altair Ascom driver. Done and all working now. 
Thank you for replying and hopefully this will help others if need be. Download the ASCOM driver. 🙄

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yup. It works fine in every other program under its native driver.  What’s odd is that the camera worked fine in PHD using the native driver but for some reason it just stop working as it should. I believe there was an issue with the laptop re. the two instances but even after a complete format and reinstall of Windows (although the instances issue are now resolved) PHD still didn’t want to loop and only applied to the 290! This was the same plugging it into three different computers! The ASCOM driver has resolved the issue. 

Edited by JonHigh