NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar imaging with a Herschel wedge

No dark for a few months, so I'm considering whether to try white light solar imaging

I have a GT71 sitting around, and was thinking of adding a 1.25" solar wedge

Am I correct in assuming:

You also need a continuum filter and a polarising filter? If so, how do these attach between wedge exit and camera

Use a mono camera ? I have a 178MM and a 533MM

I'm looking at the Lunt, Baader and TS. Is there any quality difference between these? 

Cheers!

Did you think about a Hercules 1.25" wedge? 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGpC8Ld

It's probably the cheapest wedge. It contains a ND3.8 or 3.0 filter inside a top barrel. I replaced it with 1.25" Solar Continuum, but didn't tried this filter yet. The wedge is really decent IMHO. 

They also offer a CaK version. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Did you think about a Hercules 1.25" wedge? 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGpC8Ld

It's probably the cheapest wedge. It contains a ND3.8 or 3.0 filter inside a top barrel. I replaced it with 1.25" Solar Continuum, but didn't tried this filter yet. The wedge is really decent IMHO. 

They also offer a CaK version. 

Thanks V. 

I'm tending towards the TS, as it comes with two filters (ND and continuum) and has a good return policy. 

If you simply want to trial it why not get the Baader photographic film (or for safety's sake of you intend to view too, just standardise and get the visual film), make your own front filter and away you go.

You don't really need a filter after the solar film, helps with contrast but if you're imaging you've got that control in post processing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another wedge to consider is the Lacerta wedge. Easily purchased from 365astronomy in the UK. No idea about your purchasing.
There are several threads on SGL in the solar section about different makes of wedge and Brewster angle vs 90deg.
At the end of the day everyone seems to have been happy with whatever (known astro name) kit they have bought.
I have yet to see 'I wish I had bought Brand A instead of Brand B'.

Edited by Carbon Brush
Added location of threads
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you simply want to trial it why not get the Baader photographic film (or for safety's sake of you intend to view too, just standardise and get the visual film), make your own front filter and away you go.

You don't really need a filter after the solar film, helps with contrast but if you're imaging you've got that control in post processing.

My understanding is that a wedge can give better detail when combined with a continuum filter?

The wedge will be better than the film. With a camera I dont know how much of an effect the filter will have, I've never used one when imaging in WL, only a green filter when looking visually which does give slightly more contrast separation.

The suggestion of the film was simply for trial purposes as it's the most low cost of entry and you can decide there and then if you want to continue with it. I decided to go the HA route very quickly.

• Thanks 1

I use a Baader Coolwedge II- it has the continuum fitted internally rather than attached to the eyepiece. With a small scope you don't need a polariser. I don't use one with my 120mm...

• Thanks 1

Here's the 120mm in action.

One word of caution: Wedges have a much longer light path than normal diagonals. This 2" Baader only just comes to focus with a few mm to spare as you can see in the image. You need to check how much in focus you have before using one. 

D5H_12842048.thumb.jpg.0452552a23f1fe88256339b5f7699c11.jpg

It may be that a 1.25" wedge is your only option. I previously used a Lunt - it was excellent. But it doesn't have anywhere to fit a Continuum; that had to go on the eyepiece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I use a Baader Coolwedge II- it has the continuum fitted internally rather than attached to the eyepiece. With a small scope you don't need a polariser. I don't use one with my 120mm...

That's a nice set up Mr S.

I'll be mainly imaging with a 70mm or 90mm APO, so I'll probably go for a 1.25" set up on cost grounds. I can fit addition filters directly in front of the camera based on what I have found on line    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Went for the TS wedge in the end. It has a built in ND3 and comes with a narrowband green filter and a circular polariser. I think the 'narrowband' isn't that narrow but lets see how it goes.

Given the suns activity at the moment, I'm looking forward to playing around with this.

Edited by 900SL

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

Looks like we are in for cloudy days and nights now🙄.

🤣🤣🤣

😆  not even dispatched and now it's raining. Heat wave forecast next week 🥵