Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Baader Hyperion EP question.....

My 24mm Hyperion works well with my F10 SCT, and I'm thinking of going for something with a greater magnification.

I was impressed with Luke and Sarah's 13mm at SGL4, but wondered if anyone could recommend any alternatives.

Now I know a £100 EP isn't going to compare with an Ethos, but I'd welcome any reasonable comparisons.

Regarding the Hyperion 13mm, how is it for eye placement? I'm after something that doesn't suffer too much from kidney-beaning and critical eye alignment.

Any comments most welcome. Cheers! :icon_rolleyes:

I have never looked through the 13mm hyperion but do have the 8mm and I would say in a F10 scope this should be a very good eyepiece with hardly any coma and very bright and contrasty.

Alternatives would be the 15mm WO SWAN only £58 from FLO with 72 degrees FOV instead of 68 degrees.

Or the Meade 5000 14mm at £76 from FLO and has slightly less fov at 60 degrees.

I can't comment on the 13mm but the 17 and 5 both work well and I've not had problems with either eye relief or kidney beaming on either of them. Hth some.

Just to add I've used them on f5, f7.5 & f12.5 scopes. There's some coma at f5 but I've not noticed any on the other scopes.

OK. It's 50% more, but I might consider it.

What makes it so special?

Build quality and of course 82 degrees FOV.

Bigger then the Nagler 16mm but lighter so might not effect balance.

In an F/10 scope you do not need to invest in expensive eyepieces to get good performance - most eyepieces will perform well at that focal ratio.

The UWAN's are very good indeed and give an ultra-wide field of view (82 degrees) which is pretty sharp all the way across, even in shorter focal ratio scopes. They are the closest eyepieces to the Naglers in performance that I have tried.

John

I have never looked through the 13mm hyperion but do have the 8mm and I would say in a F10 scope this should be a very good eyepiece with hardly any coma and very bright and contrasty.

Alternatives would be the 15mm WO SWAN only £58 from FLO with 72 degrees FOV instead of 68 degrees.

Or the Meade 5000 14mm at £76 from FLO and has slightly less fov at 60 degrees.

I have the Meade 5000 14mm. It's a great little eyepiece for the money. Highly recommended.

Archived