NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Smart computer monitor?

24 minutes ago, Elp said:

To make this a bit clearer, a monitor will switch on when supplied power from an off state and will show the connected pc feed as long as power save modes have been switched off on the pc (screensavers also need to be turned off so you can see the operating system UI). This means the pc is constantly on.

If power save mode is enabled on the pc, a newly powered monitor will switch on briefly, then also revert to a standby mode or no signal mode due to the pc being in standby or sleep mode and not transmitting a signal over the video connection.

But none of that makes a difference to what the OP asked for, he wants to be able to switch a monitor on and off via Alexa whether by voice command or an app when he is at the eyepiece, why..? Who knows…

So using a smart plug gives this option, the monitor is turned on at its switch, and left on, and then it can be turned on and off via the smart plug, it’s then up to him to sort out the PC and power saving functions and so on and so fourth…as that was not mentioned….but easy enough to configure…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elp said:

I like the broomstick idea, doesn't need batteries or any electronics.

but that wouldn't be a smart broomstick :) 

Jim 

• Haha 2

Ok I've just checked to see if this works and does. A TV with an Amazon Fire Stick plugged in can be controlled by voice to turn on or off by command using the Fire Stick remote.  Now if you wanted to use the screen as a computer monitor you could feed into the TV's HDMI port - there would need to be a spare for the Fire Stick. I'm not sure though that Alexa will work while the TV is driven by the computer HDMI feed - I'd need to check that out tomorrow. If that works then it would satisfy Michael's brief.  A fire stick is approx £40 and then the choice of TV is open to anything suitable.  Tbh though I think the Alexa enabled smart plug driving the monitor is the easiest solution. 

The convenience of being able to turn the monitor off remotely while at the eyepiece is understandable and I think the smart plug would be a low cost solution.

Jim

• Like 2