Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora photography with a DRONE

A few months ago I had the slightly unhinged idea to create hyperlapses (moving timelapses) of the northern lights and night sky from a drone.  I wanted to capture the majesty of the aurora above grand landscapes with sweeping parallax movements contributing to the sense of scale.  Scanning the usual places on the internet, I'd not come across any examples of this sort of photography, which surprised me a little, and then excited me.  It never really occurred to me there might have been good reasons why no-one had tried it!

When we were last in the north of Norway in February, following quite a lot of trial and error in the UK, we gave it a go and, despite distinctly sub-optimal aurora conditions and only one clear night in our week-long stay, I think we managed to prove out the concept.

I made a video of the whole shenanigans and I very much hope it'll be the first in a few as I try to move from this "beta" test to the vision I have in my mind's eye.

I would be very interested - those of you that also have drones - whether you've tried anything similar at night?  I'm particularly excited to try this with noctilucent clouds just round the corner - I think that would have a similar potential (with more moderate consequences if things go wrong!!).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video - something a bit different!  Normal service will resume shortly...

Paul. 😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Promising development Paul, even if it is a bit nail biting! I'm sure you will buff it into shape, but I guess as always you need plentiful opportunities to hone the skills. Hope we get them.

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Promising development Paul, even if it is a bit nail biting! I'm sure you will buff it into shape, but I guess as always you need plentiful opportunities to hone the skills. Hope we get them.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Hopefully this NLC season we get some opportunities!

This brilliant Paul. I like to settle down with plenty of time and a cup of coffee to watch your journals. 

I just love your new drone and opens up so many possibilities for Astrophotography projects. I'm really looking forward to seeing more. 

The jeopardy of nearly crashing into the trees watch a edge of the seat watch. 

Thinking with your new drone work you could be the new James Bond working behind enemy lines. 

Clear skies. 

Lee 

• Like 1