Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 LRGB

I recently made a post stating my intention to upgrade to an astrocam later in the year, either OSC or Mono, currently unsure which way to go.

@ollypenrice got in contact with me, and kindly offered me a set of data in LRGB for M51 to have a play with a mono set and trial it.

Olly did all the capturing (a few years ago maybe?), provided me with the calibrated and stacked, unprocessed LRGB files. I have then pulled them into PI and processed to suit.

After some trials and tribulations, learning PI, LRGB and the use of Blur and Noise XT, this is my first attempt at an LRGB image! I ignored separate star processing for this image to avoid complications, so they are a little blown out.

There's quite a lot of tidal stream here, which I was amazed to see coming out of Olly's data!

Again, thank you to Olly for the data and giving me a go at using some incredible data 😀

LRGB_Try_3.thumb.jpg.f2c36fa01f92b28e2f45253287aa41e4.jpg

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Wow. Thats awesome. How many hours of data is that?

I don't think I gave Chris this info but it's Lum 21x15 mins, R,G and B 8x10 min each. TEC140/Atik 460CCD. Not all that much, really.

Olly

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Lum 21x15 mins, R,G and B 8x10 min each. TEC140/Atik 460CCD. Not all that much, really.

Just 9.25 hours,  approx 3 months worth here atm, so not that much 🙃

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't think I gave Chris this info but it's Lum 21x15 mins, R,G and B 8x10 min each. TEC140/Atik 460CCD. Not all that much, really.

Olly

Ah, actually the filenames of the stacks did have the 21x15 and 8x10, I forgot to list them above. Thanks Olly, and thanks for clarifying the equipment used. Like others, I can scarcely believe this is only 9.25 hours of data! 

57 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Sad but true! Especially 15 minute frames, in that time we'd experience cloud, sun, night, snow and anything else. Hell, probably an eclipse the way this year's going 🙄

• Haha 3

On 22/04/2024 at 17:00, fireballxl5 said:

Agree totally, my recent M51 here was three hours combined for LRGB, and an hour of Ha, and that was over two nights. Only my second image this year, I feel that every image is a salvage job