NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacement for my Myriad 20mm 100 degree EP

Hi,

First off, I love my Myriad eyepiece, with its huge fov and, in my scope, 60x mag. But, it's big, and heavy ... so i'm thinking of selling it and going for an 82 degree replacement (like a 24mm Explore Scientific, or, if i can find a secondhand one, a 20/22mm Nagler). 

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Kev

Edited by kev100

I've not owned or used the 24mm ES 82 but I have owned the 22mm T4 and 20mm T5 Naglers. They were both excellent eyepieces although, personally, I found the 22mm Nagler more comfortable to use (more eye relief and a larger eye lens) and more immersive. I have read of a number of folks moving from a ~20mm / 100 degree eyepiece to the 22mm Nagler and being happy with the switch.

I went the other way but I guess the time might come when I reverse that move 🤔

There are other ~20mm ~80ish degree alternatives now as well such as the Stellalyra 20mm / 80:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-eyepieces/stellalyra-20mm-2-80-ler-uwa-eyepiece.html

I've not used one of those though.

• Like 1

Funny you should say that John.  I had the 20mm 100 deg eyepiece for several weeks and used it quite often.  No complaints, a fine eyepiece but ultimately I could not quite take to it much as I didn't the 13mm Ethos seven  or so years ago.  I now have a Nagler 22mm by exchange on this forum and here I'll stick...:smiley:

• Like 3

I sold a 21mmEthos and went to the 22mm Nagler due to needing glasses at the eyepiece.

I preferred the larger field, but glasses use dictated what happened.

FWIW, I don't feel deprived.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity this thread had me looking up the Nagler 22mm as I have the APM 20mm. From specs that I saw, the Nagler weighs the same? I’m assuming it’s physically smaller. Just thinking about the OP wanting to reduce size and weight. 

Thanks all. As for the weight, my understanding is that the Nagler is about 200 grammes less than the Myriad...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Out of curiosity this thread had me looking up the Nagler 22mm as I have the APM 20mm. From specs that I saw, the Nagler weighs the same? I’m assuming it’s physically smaller. Just thinking about the OP wanting to reduce size and weight. 

Hi Neil,

I have just parted with an APM 20mm 100 deg in favour of the 2" Nagler 22mm and the weight difference was 30 ounces to 24 ounces for the Nagler 22mm .  I weighed them both.

Edited by Saganite
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Neil,

I have just parted with an APM 20mm 100 deg in favour of the 2" Nagler 22mm and the weight difference was 30 ounces to 24 ounces for the Nagler 22mm .  

Nice. Thanks Steve! The figure I found for the APM must have been wrong. That’s defo a nice weight saving. 

Other than the 20mm 100 degree eyepiece, I’ve happily dropped to smaller FOV to have improved optical quality. The smaller size was an added benefit 

5 hours ago, Saganite said:

Hi Neil,

I have just parted with an APM 20mm 100 deg in favour of the 2" Nagler 22mm and the weight difference was 30 ounces to 24 ounces for the Nagler 22mm .  I weighed them both.

Mm.. to me they seem very similar in weight and I'm sensitive to this in fact I don't like heavy eyepieces.

According to Ernest, the APM XWA 20mm weighs 689g (page to scroll: https://astro--talks-ru.translate.goog/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1445&sid=62f5b3f4a78b02a2dc07dc7c8da24868&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp&_x_tr_sch=http ). 

I just measured it too and got 695g. Is it possible that you didn't subtract the tare?

IMG_20240415_214008.thumb.jpg.53d05ec76b2d20fe90019a9e3f93fcb4.jpg

IMG_20240415_214047.thumb.jpg.d19cabeac6b916e47bfed2306f5e7b71.jpg

@Littleguy80 FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first 100s was a Lunt Engineering HDC. I liked it but was not hooked. At that time I used it with my 12" F6 dob and usually jumped from 30mm to 12.5mm.

I have eventually been hooked by 100 deg eps after trying the 9mm and then 7mm APM XWAs. The scope this time is a 16" F4 + PC2 and a focal length of 9mm really feels optimised with this telescope. I decided to swap my N22T4 with Steve's APM XWA 20mm to have a "matching set". Glad this exchange happened!

So for me the "dyslexic duos" are: 30, 12.5mm with the 12" F6 dob and 20, 9mm with this other dob.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

The Myriad has a somewhat more chunky eye cup design than the APM 100's.

👍 

Place a bright star at the edge of the field, then look direct at the center of the field.  If you can catch the bright star in your peripheral vision, you are seeing the whole field.

If you want to look at the edge of the field with direct vision, and you simply move your eye to do so, and the eyepiece is wider than about 70°, you will move your eye's pupil away from the eyepiece's exit pupil.

In order to look directly at the edge in an 82° eyepiece, you need to roll your head over and look through the eyepiece at an angle, whether using glasses or not.