Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Ultima 8x42

Hello,

I bought on occasion a Vixen Ultima 8x42 which turned out to be a very good device. So I tried to find out when it could be manufactured but didn't succeed. The general impression is like it could be 1980s. The "Mikiko" signature doesn't look like factory print, so it must be a previous owner name/marking.

Probably someone owns this model and could share any information on manufacturing history. I would really appreciate any ideas. Thank you!

The s/n is 002H2493.

IMG_20240404_180703.jpg

IMG_20240404_180708.jpg

IMG_20240404_180723.jpg

IMG_20240404_180741.jpg

~

Can't help with dating this branding, but Celestron marketed a line, also called Ultima, which appear identical to your unit. They were discontinued some years back when virtually all production shifted to China. I seem to recall the Celestrons becoming scarce around 15 years ago. But, memory being the second thing disappearing with age, I could be mistaken.

On 04/04/2024 at 17:17, Petrovich007 said:

I would really appreciate any ideas.

The Ultimas were Vixen's deluxe binocular for many years and they were rebranded for Celestron as well. Production began in the 80's and continued into the early 2000's. The earlier models came in a tan leather case but the later ones had a black case. Superb, lightweight porro binocular, I've had the 7x42 and the 7x50 models and they were both excellent. 

Just been having a flick through my old catalogues and the Vixen Ultima is not listed in the 1985 one, the earliest catalogue I have is 1992 showing the Ultima range and the last catalogue to list the Ultima was in 2004.

So the timeline for the Ultima range is post-1985 to 2005.

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

• Like 4

On 05/04/2024 at 22:55, Nakedgun said:

What's the first thing to disappear :)? (I'm not a native speaker so probably miss some proverb or saying : )

~

Can't help with dating this branding, but Celestron marketed a line, also called Ultima, which appear identical to your unit. They were discontinued some years back when virtually all production shifted to China. I seem to recall the Celestrons becoming scarce around 15 years ago. But, memory being the second thing disappearing with age, I could be mistaken.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Franklin said:

The Ultimas were Vixen's deluxe binocular for many years and they were rebranded for Celestron as well. Production began in the 80's and continued into the early 2000's. The earlier models came in a tan leather case but the later ones had a black case. Superb, lightweight porro binocular, I've had the 7x42 and the 7x50 models and they were both excellent. 

Franklin, thanks for this information. Here is the way the case looks. Actually, since posting the initial message I purchased another 8x42 identical to the first one (at least, visually identical). The case is also identical. The serial is 811H4098. 

IMG_20240408_195410_809.jpg

Edited by Petrovich007
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Franklin said:

Just been having a flick through my old catalogues and the Vixen Ultima is not listed in the 1985 one, the earliest catalogue I have is 1992 showing the Ultima range and the last catalogue to list the Ultima was in 2004.

So the timeline for the Ultima range is post-1985 to 2005.

Franklin, thanks a lot! What is remarkable is "620g" for 8x42. I can't read the Japanese so not sure if this is net weight or gross. Both samples I have are ~570g net and 890g gross (bino + case + straps, covers). So probably they didn't come from the batches corresponding to this catalogue but were manufactured later (well, on the other hand sometimes weight grown after improvements or some optimization :) ). 

P.S. Frankly speaking, I'm puzzled. In my understanding, you attached 1992 and 2004 catalogues, and both provide 620g for 8x42. Really interesting... 

Edited by Petrovich007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Petrovich007 said:

~

Um, let's just say it involves plumbing/apparatus function, and leave it at that.

• Haha 2

~

Here are my only Ultima binocular. I don't remember when I bought them.

Optically excellent, the glue securing the leatherette covering is beginning to fail.

IMGP1619.JPG.8c916be1f20e69b7dd836ac747d229db.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Petrovich007 said:

What is remarkable is "620g" for 8x42. I can't read the Japanese so not sure if this is net weight or gross. Both samples I have are ~570g net and 890g gross (bino + case + straps, covers). So probably they didn't come from the batches corresponding to this catalogue but were manufactured later (well, on the other hand sometimes weight grown after improvements or some optimization :) ). 

They may have just taken the net weight to include caps and strap? There's a lot of "cut and paste" in astro catalogue specs, I've spotted many inaccuracies over the years and Vixen are no exception.

• Like 1

~

An Ultima by any other name....

Forgot about my wife's binocular kept in the toy-box trailer. I bought these in the mid/late 90s.

IMGP1622.JPG.47c9cd76f44c09af797aa201e112f7f8.JPG

• Like 2

My Meade Safari Pro 8x42 binos from the mid to late 90s look similar, but have a rubber covering and came in black nylon case.  Also Japanese and BAK4.

Surprisingly, I received a feedback from Vixen. Thank you guys!

Hopefully this info would be useful for somebody:

(1) Vixen Ultima 8x42 s/n 002H2493 - Year 2000
(2) Vixen Ultima 8x42 s/n 811H4098 - Year 2008