Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bortle 6 skies - recommended camera, filters or post process, and recommended processing software?

Hi, 

Just gathering information on  equipment for dso AP,  which I suspect is a bit more complex than planetary AP (excuse my ignorance, if I'm wrong).

I'm hoping to start doing  dso imaging properly (I've only dabbled so far) 

What camera would you recommend as a good step up from a apc-s dslr, for bortle 6 skies, would you advise using any filter(s) or do you use post capture processing to sort out issues (I suspect some can't be fixed, therefore filter essential?). 

And for processing, previously I have used DSS for a trial test after 5x 1 min set of exposures on a wide angle dslr shot of ursa major (I don't yet have an equatorial mount so wanted to keep star trails to minimum) , and it seemed simple enough to use, albeit as you'd expect, a pretty boring result. I could see the constellation, but nothing more. 

What post capture software would you recommend? 

When taking the image, do you use Sharpcam? Or alternative? Or none? 🤔

Sorry, lots of questions I know, but I'm hoping to benefit from the experience of the imagers on SGL, 🙂👍

Thanks

Mark 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Hi Mark,could you give a bit more information..ie scope,mount ect, is it a dob you are using now.

Hi Paul, 

I'm gathering information at present. I have an ed80 and nikon D7000, but I'm planning to get an az-eq6 and an SW 200pds. So, I'll have plenty of options I hope. 

I've pretty much thrashed the scope choice to death, so I don't see me changing from the 200pds to compliment my ed80. 

Hope that helps

Thanks 

Mark 

If you want apsc size or more the camera isn't going to be cheap. You'll also have more tinkering to do to get a full flat field if that is a requirement for you rather than cropping the images.

The ZWO 2600 is popular due to its price/size/performance ratio, other options from other manufacturers will be slightly cheaper. The 294 is nearly apsc size but I wouldn't recommend the OSC to a beginner due to coloured patterns you can get with them and subsequent calibration issues.

If you want a decent combo planetary and dso consider the 585, ive used the older 485 uncooled for both very well. It's so popular they're bringing out a cooled 585 soon. Your FOV will obviously be restricted on DSO, I found the wide-screen aspect ratio makes you "miss" the height of a traditional 3:2 sensor.

Capture, use whatever you feel comfortable with. I went down the asiair route as I didn't want a traditional computer involved with image acquisition, being able to set everything up with a mobile phone via their app is a massive positive for me, they'd be no adjustment at all for me wherever in the world I decide to image from as I'd always have my phone with me. For traditional computers NINA is popular.

Post processing learn Siril, it has many features (probably all you really need actually) and it's free, not paid for like Pixinsight. I finish all the images in PS/GIMP, software I can do any sort of image editing or creation in, why restrict yourself to using software for a single purpose when you can use it for anything? Pixinsight is supposed to be good though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you want apsc size or more the camera isn't going to be cheap. You'll also have more tinkering to do to get a full flat field if that is a requirement for you rather than cropping the images.

The ZWO 2600 is popular due to its price/size/performance ratio, other options from other manufacturers will be slightly cheaper. The 294 is nearly apsc size but I wouldn't recommend the OSC to a beginner due to coloured patterns you can get with them and subsequent calibration issues.

If you want a decent combo planetary and dso consider the 585, ive used the older 485 uncooled for both very well. It's so popular they're bringing out a cooled 585 soon. Your FOV will obviously be restricted on DSO, I found the wide-screen aspect ratio makes you "miss" the height of a traditional 3:2 sensor.

Capture, use whatever you feel comfortable with. I went down the asiair route as I didn't want a traditional computer involved with image acquisition, being able to set everything up with a mobile phone via their app is a massive positive for me, they'd be no adjustment at all for me wherever in the world I decide to image from as I'd always have my phone with me. For traditional computers NINA is popular.

Post processing learn Siril, it has many features (probably all you really need actually) and it's free, not paid for like Pixinsight. I finish all the images in PS/GIMP, software I can do any sort of image editing or creation in, why restrict yourself to using software for a single purpose when you can use it for anything? Pixinsight is supposed to be good though.

Hi Elp, 

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Yes, I'd read about the aspect ratio of the 585 not being to everyone's taste. But, I've also seen some fantastic images with it too! 

I was wondering about the asiair pro a while ago. It does look useful. Can you see what the camera is seeing (on your phone/pad) when you use the asiair? 

In terms of planetary imaging I did have the 224mc in mind with an ES 5x focal extender, as I've seen great images with this combo and the 200pds. The 224 costs about £200-250. The 585 if I recall is around £350, and £650 for cooled version on FLO. 

If the 585 can do both, then it might be more cost effective. 

Thanks 

Mark

Edited by Flame Nebula

45 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Can you see what the camera is seeing (on your phone/pad) when you use the asiair? 

Yes as with any computer controller software. Note with the asiair you can only use ZWO equipment barring the mount of which it supports many different mount manufacturers.

The 224mc is currently 164, it was around 250 when it first came out but no longer, making it a good starter planetary camera, though the 585 will be better suited to both planetary and dso.

• Like 1

At looks like you already have the 80ED telescope which would be great to use for imaging, I'd skip the 200PDS, there's plenty to learn with using the 80ED and great imaging to be had.

Depending on what astro camera you get you might find starting with a IR filter for the Moon or planets a great start.

Post processing, try them all, there are free trials if you're trying paid for software. See which one you get on with using, many are excellent from free to paid.

If starting with your static tripod use your wisest lens with your camera and take lots of frames, then when you stack them you could start to see more and areas like Deneb are great for this.

Have fun

Edited by happy-kat

44 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

At looks like you already have the 80ED telescope which would be great to use for imaging, I'd skip the 200PDS, there's plenty to learn with using the 80ED and great imaging to be had.

Depending on what astro camera you get you might find starting with a IR filter for the Moon or planets a great start.

Post processing, try them all, there are free trials if you're trying paid for software. See which one you get on with using, many are excellent from free to paid.

If starting with your static tripod use your wisest lens with your camera and take lots of frames, then when you stack them you could start to see more and areas like Deneb are great for this.

Have fun

Hi happy kat, 

Thanks for your suggestions. The 200pds is primarily being acquired to get some nice planetary AP, visual observations of objects which I can't see in my 80ed(or 127mm mak), like the e/f stars in trapezium. Obviously it can do DSO as well, but I will most likely start with the ed80/D7000 combo on the az-eq6 mount. This will give me much longer exposure times than I can get now. I need to also investigate guide camaras too. 

Didn't spot you already had the 127 mak. With the weather like it has been at least getting an astro cam you could start capturing the moon or planets with the 127 mak and then make ongoing choices with building use

• Like 1