Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse - 2024 APR 08

A solar eclipse will be visible on Monday 2024 APR 08 throughout almost all of North America and essentially nowhere else. The eclipse will be total within an approximately 185 km (115 mi) wide band that crosses through Durango, Austin, Dallas, Little Rock, Carbondale, Indianapolis, Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, Buffalo, Rochester, Montpelier and Montreal. Outside that band the eclipse will at best be partial for North American observers. Even for observers in the band of totality, the eclipse will be partial before and after totality.

Do not observe the partial phases of the eclipse without proper protective eyewear. Ordinary sunglasses are not nearly good enough.

Photos and descriptions of the eclipse would be welcome additions to this thread.

Below is my chart for the view from Indianapolis at the time the eclipse is total there. 

Eclipse-Indianapolis.JPG.63634ac0966563c77d27726131895acd.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 4

I think for us in Baltimore Ireland (51.485N 9.346W), we might see the first bite, but totality happens when the Sun is nearly 5 degrees down. However it should mean that civil twilight will essentially go straight to full darkness not long after sunset, so we might see some effect of it. We're not quite far enough West.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I think for us in Baltimore Ireland (51.485N 9.346W), we might see the first bite, but totality happens when the Sun is nearly 5 degrees down. However it should mean that civil twilight will essentially go straight to full darkness not long after sunset, so we might see some effect of it. We're not quite far enough West.

Cheers, Magnus

Looks like it could be lovely with a sea horizon Magnus. Hope the weather is kind!

IMG_7446.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Any luck @Captain Scarlet?

An annoying belt of broken low cloud was passing, and luckily because of quite high wind, they were moving quickly. I got literally 5 seconds of a view. By the time I’d brought up my camera to my face, the cloud gap had passed and that was it. But I got to see so I should be grateful.

The twilight-eclipse was around 90% so didn’t in the end noticeably affect twilight, though I did take SQM-L readings every 30 seconds or so, and I expect that data to show extra darkening over expected. I’ll process that tomorrow and post up what it shows.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm waiting to hear from my brother who traveled from Chicago to Indianapolis to witness the Total Solar Eclipse.

From my location in Florida, 61% of the Sun's diameter was covered by the Moon.

Below are my computer-generated image and a projection through a slit in my venitian blinds:

Eclipse-FM.JPG.a9e8e2648a4cbe89822fe4ef3787f028.JPGEclipse2024FL.jpg.3dc2380df0c2246a49678d5f459b6837.jpg

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 4