NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Medusa, I got some more data!

With another clearish night and with Ollys pointers ringing in my ears I got another 100 subs to add to the other data I had. Still needs a lot more to get the best out of this target but I think the image is going in the right direction. ( No not the bin! lol ). So here it is 200 x 60s subs.

53619628407_8a9b9f705e_b.jpg

C and C welcome.

Thanks for looking again.

9 minutes ago, MartinB said:

It's a nicely processed clean image.  You will probably need a few hours more to reveal the faint outer nebulosity

Thank you,  I hope to get more but I think that will be next season as its getting close to next doors house. I just hope we get better weather then too!

This is a great start on this beautiful target.

My apologies, but I haven’t been here in quite a while and was curious about what equipment you used.

My weather has been poor and this was my last target from my B6-7 backyard and I only selected it to try to test new guiding parameters. Never had noticed this target before and wow, it is beautiful!

I was lucky enough to catch almost 7 hours over two evenings and can’t wait until next season to catch more data.

I believe that you will see a significant increase in detail with more time on target. 
This nebula is very dim and very stubborn to give up details. 

Best of success!

My attempt so far.

https://astrob.in/qcy4gj/D/

IMG_6667.thumb.png.7e6b094c5020abb7e4db60b252987f95.png

Edited by juno16
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, juno16 said:

This is a great start on this beautiful target.

My apologies, but I haven’t been here in quite a while and was curious about what equipment you used.

My weather has been poor and this was my last target from my B6-7 backyard and I only selected it to try to test new guiding parameters. Never had noticed this target before and wow, it is beautiful!

I was lucky enough to catch almost 7 hours over two evenings and can’t wait until next season to catch more data.

I believe that you will see a significant increase in detail with more time on target. 
This nebula is very dim and very stubborn to give up details. 

Best of success!

My attempt so far.

IMG_6667.thumb.png.7e6b094c5020abb7e4db60b252987f95.png

Hi, that is a fine image of the target. gives me something to aim for. I used my Askar 400 with its FR and my ASI2600 c with no filter fitted. I was going to put my Optolong extreme filter in but I was being a bit lazy and went for it in just RGB.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MartinB said:

You will need that filter to pick up the faint stuff

I thought I would, I wont be so lazy next time and will fit my optolong extreme. It will have to wait till next season though.

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Super project. Your background sky is looking decidedly brown on my monitor so a background calibration might be in order.

Olly

Thanks Olly, depending on what pooter Im using at the time I do get a little variation in colour. One seems to give me more green and although on the one Im using at the moment the colour looks ok to me Im sure if I look at it on my main pooter it will look brown as you say. Ill have a play later and see if I can sort it.

11 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Thanks Olly, depending on what pooter Im using at the time I do get a little variation in colour. One seems to give me more green and although on the one Im using at the moment the colour looks ok to me Im sure if I look at it on my main pooter it will look brown as you say. Ill have a play later and see if I can sort it.

For an objective measurement I checked the background brightness per channel in two places using the Ps Colour Sampler Tool (eyedropper menu.) I check these values regularly when processing.

It gave R40  G30  B19 and R38  G29  B19. A neutral sky would have parity in all channels though personal prefences also apply. However, the numbers do say 'red high and blue low.'

Olly

• Like 1

Your promising image reminded me that I should reprocess my image of this object from two years ago using the new XT tools. It was 12 hours of RASA 8 data using the IDAS NBZ filter on an ASI2600MC. This is a great NB object, so I suggest that you put your L-extreme filter on next time to get to all that Oiii and Ha. As you see, there is also a lot of Ha in the neighborhood if you go deep enough, so adding subs pay off.

Cheers & CS, Göran

20220124-25 Sh2-274 RASA1+2 NyPS12smallSign.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gorann said:

Your promising image reminded me that I should reprocess my image of this object from two years ago using the new XT tools. It was 12 hours of RASA 8 data using the IDAS NBZ filter on an ASI2600MC. This is a great NB object, so I suggest that you put your L-extreme filter on next time to get to all that Oiii and Ha. As you see, there is also a lot of Ha in the neighborhood if you go deep enough, so adding subs pay off.

Cheers & CS, Göran

20220124-25 Sh2-274 RASA1+2 NyPS12smallSign.jpg

Thanks Goran, That is a great image. I will give it a try but I think I will have to wait till next season.

• Like 1