Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pinwheel Re-process

With the weather being so awful, I have been going over some of my old data from a few years ago, when I had no idea what I was doing. Now I have a vague idea of what I am doing, and the new imaging software tools, the difference can be quite amazing. This is a re-process of about 9 hours of HaLRGB data from April 2021, using an RC8 and 1600MM pro, processed in PI. I am quite pleased with the amount of faint information has come out in the spiral arms. Also, the small messy NGC5477 galaxy also shows some detail. In case it is not obvious, the first image is the new one!

Critical comment welcome as always.

M101 Final.jpg

M101 Final APP and APa.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of RC goodness there! Both images are good but I find the new version more aesthetically pleasing, somewhat more understated and Ha more blended in.

I was imaging M101 with my ZS66, reduced for f4.3, I managed only an hour and a half before the battery died, which more or less coincided with the skies turning excellent! Looking at the background noise from the Amsterdam light pollution, I think I will need another 8 hours before I can start to separate the outer regions of the galaxy from the noise. But long before then my RC6 will have arrived and the ZS66 will be forgotten about for a few months!

Edited by Ags

Just my personal view, but although the Ha regions really show in the original version, I think they overwhelm the galaxy somewhat, so for the reasons you have out outlined, I think your new version is much better.👍

Having the time and inclination to reprocess old data is about the only silver lining our clouds possess.

• Like 1

Incomparably better, with crisp details curling right into the core of the spiral. The core is less blown out and there is more faint stuff, the background and stars are better, it's win-win-win.

Olly